Quarantine check in

Old 04-18-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quarantine check in

Good afternoon,
Just wanted to see how those of you who are quarantined are handling your spouses/ significant others? My husband has been laid off for just over three weeks and I just got furloughed yesterday. I’m grateful our employers are putting our health ahead of profits, but, with the shelter in place order and me being a rule following type, I must say I am nervous to see what life will be like in the next few weeks with both of us home together in a small place all day every day. Stay safe, stay healthy friends!
Old 04-18-2020, 06:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

These are indeed different times.

I am quarantined with my aging father and have been for about a month. All things considered we are doing okay. He was supposed to go into a nursing home but it just didn't seem the time to put an aging family member into communal living.

I can get pretty low in the afternoons and there are of course irritations inherent in living with an octogenarian. The uncertain future for our entire world right now is a bit stressful.

Let us know how you get on QT.
Old 04-18-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Bekindalways…...I just want to say to you that I respect your willingness to care for your father in this way. And, believe me, I know how unnerving it can get with a cantankerous parent or parent figure...lol...…
But, I do know that there is an additional side to your situation that you may not be aware of every second of every day, right now.....But, this time spent with him....you will become grateful for...as, in this giving, you will, also, be receiving.
Yes, it is right to keep him with you, at this time, if it is possible....

And...yes, I know what you mean about getting low, sometimes, now. I am trying to stay positive...trying really hard...and, I tend to be a "glass half full" person, anyway. However, I have had quite a few periods of sadness a nd crying, in the last few weeks, myself. Today, I received the news of the passing of one of my cousins that I was close with when growing up. We had shared some wonderful summers at my grandmas house. He was older than me, and had suffered a stroke a few weeks ago. He live far across the country from me....I do have some wonderful memories of him to comfort me...thankfully, he lived a good life and had a wife who cared for him at home...just as he wanted....
for that I am so grateful....

These are trying times for all of us...and, I am so grateful to have you folks, here, at SR to share with....
Bekindalways….your forum name describes you to a T. You have shown such compassion and understanding, here, over the years....
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

QT......t hanks for posting this thread.....as a reminder that we are not alone.
I sure do know what it is to be unemployed along with a spouse....and, it wasn't even during a lock down.....
somehow, we do seem to rise to the occasion with more resources than we ever thought we had, inside ourselves.....
Attend to your self care, as much as you possibly can!
Old 04-19-2020, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

These are certainly challenging times, I'm home with my 2 teens and my AH. Fortunately, my husband is able to work from home, is busy for most of the day in his office, teens spend a lot of times holed up in their rooms, for me I'm just bored and lonely. Ready to get back to normal life .

Bekind, I can imagine it is challenging caring for your dad but my guess is you will truly appreciate this time someday. I lost my dad a year and a half ago and I regret I didn't get more time with him. As adults we were never overly close, but I certainly miss him now and wish I had made more of an effort.
Old 05-03-2020, 07:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing bekindalways. I worked in a nursing home/ assisted living home for nearly 8 years, I know it’s hard but Im sure you’ve made the right choice to keep your father home with you right now. Nursing homes/assisted living homes can be a blessing, but the timing has to be right, and so does the staff. As for me I was only furloughed for two weeks, thank God, I’d like to ask our owners what was the point for two weeks? I surely don’t know. Husband has started stopping drinking at home as of two days ago, I find myself completely detached from this as it has happened before, and I feel myself caring less for him. Anyways, I have bigger fish to fry. My father is pending a cancer biopsy tomorrow that will certainly cause me to move to my home state if it is positive. With or without AH. My parents are not old, in their 60s but my other siblings also live far away have kids who prevent them from moving back to help my parents. I hope you are all healthy and working on your own mental and emotional well-being during this time. Stay safe everyone. I know social distancing is a pain in the ass and awkward, but I hope you do it for those who are immune compromised in our society.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your kind words everyone.
I have been dreading my Dad moving into the nursing home so the pandemic has caused a kind of stay of execution that I appreciate.
We are doing fairly well. Dad really is a nice guy so pretty easy to live with. Today we went out on his balcony and I gave him a haircut. It was kind of fun. I used to do it years ago and he has been asking me.
Our state is opening up but we will probably stay put for some weeks to come as this is far from over.
Courage to you all.