Any medical folk on here?

Old 03-06-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any medical folk on here?

This may sound dumb, but is there any documentation stating that an active alcoholic should not give minor medication by needle? I know its a bit... Well duh.. However family courts are double duh and parents rights trump children's safety.

EXAH, active alcoholic, problem drinking, plenty arrests etc. Don't have soberlink where I live, no way to confirm/deny he's been drinking before he administers shot.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Milano, I see your concern. This would be a case for your lawyer to make to the court wouldn't it? More like common sense than needing to be documented. You have good evidence that EXAH is still actively drinking.

I would ask your GP to either write that it could be a concern, or refer you to someone who has authority in that area of medicine.

Good luck; I'd be worried about that as well.
Old 03-06-2020, 08:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are we talking insulin here? Because if he gets the dose wrong that could be potentially life threatening. I remember my ex one time was prescribed cough medicine with codeine. It said 1 tsp and he took 1 tablespoon and he is a medical provider....so dosing errors are very easy to make (he was actively drinking at that time probably or clean and just liked getting more codeine....who knows ).
Anyway I guess my point is that I would not want an active alcoholic to be in charge of another human beings medicine minor or adult , especially if it is something where dosing is crucial (like insulin ). I don’t think there are any rules for it but common sense should rule here. Maybe a note from a doc saying what misdosing can cause? How young is minor?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What country are you in? What is the medication? How old is the minor?
Old 03-06-2020, 10:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HeadEast View Post
What country are you in? What is the medication? How old is the minor?
Australia, growth hormone and 4yrs. May have hormonal diabetes also, being investigated for that now. Also has Hypothyroidism. I've custody, EXAH has access which includes overnight,. Child was diagnosed after parenting order was finalised... After I found out EXAH was never in recovery. Have been told I have to wait for something to happen before I can take EXAH back to court. There Must be a WHO guide that states medication should not be administered by active alcoholic.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

We are not allowed to give medical advice here, Milano.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
I think your best bet is to speak with the child's pediatrician about your concerns. And I completely understand your concerns. It would worry me, too. Is there any way that you can arrange for this regular shot to be administered by a nurse? Regardless of who is caring for your precious little one, either of you could drive by the pediatrician's office and have them administer the shot?
Old 03-07-2020, 05:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think any gp or social worker would step in if they knew that was happening, you must intervene and an alternative solution for the injection to be given must be found.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't think this is medical advice per se, I just think it is something none of us can really answer. Your best bet (in my opinion) would be to discuss this with your doctor, as mentioned above. I do think you have some valid concerns, obviously. A quick solution that comes to mind is that you go to your Ex's house and administer the shot. That's just a suggestion, but go talk to your doctor. I wish you the best.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Who told you that you have to wait for something to happen to change anything? Was it a lawyer/solicitor? I can't tell you what I would do because it's not good advice. I would discuss with the pediatrician on options to maybe work the doses around ex's time OR like another suggested going over there on his time and administering the medication.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Milano

I'm Australian - I would definitely discuss this with your child's doctor. They may have some ideas.

Also might be worth your while to consult a lawyer. Sounds like the situation, or your knowledge of the situation, has changed a little since you made the custody agreement.

Waiting until something happens can't be in the best interests of your child.

D
Old 03-19-2020, 12:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Milano

I'm Australian - I would definitely discuss this with your child's doctor. They may have some ideas.

Also might be worth your while to consult a lawyer. Sounds like the situation, or your knowledge of the situation, has changed a little since you made the custody agreement.

Waiting until something happens can't be in the best interests of your child.

D
I was told I had to wait until EXAH breached order by drinking around kids. No way to know if he is unless he get caught on another DUI. I've got a new lawyer, doctors are too timid here. Don't want to state the obvious. Everyone wants to wait til something happens... Insane.