Don't exhaust yourself

Old 10-18-2019, 05:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't exhaust yourself

Saw this post on Facebook from Buddhist Boot Camp and thought is was applicable to a lot of our situations. This is the way I felt when dealing with AH...it's not helpful to him and not helpful to me. And guess who I can control?

I saw a woman at a food court yelling at a guy for throwing his soda bottle in the trashcan instead of the recycling bin, which was conveniently placed right beside it. “What are you doing?!?!” She screamed at him, “Aren’t you concerned about the environment?”

He just looked at her and said, “Lady, I just ate a bacon double cheeseburger with a Pepsi, and I’m about to smoke another cigarette. I’m obviously not concerned about my own health, so what makes you think I give a %^&* about the environment?”

I love his response because it's really honest and a great reminder of how important it is to know your audience LOL! We don't all have the same values or priorities. Heck, if I was her and found recycling that important, I would have just waited for him to leave, moved the bottle from the trash to the recycling bin, and gone home feeling a little better about myself. Ya know? Because when changing the world is your fight, it will leave you exhausted. But if changing the world is simply your way of being, it will be effortless.

So don't run around shining your bright light in everyone's faces thinking you're so right about everything... just be like a lighthouse, shine your light, and those who are ready to come out of the dark will come to you. Be the peace.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I love this. I lead a CRAZY BUSY life. It just is how it is right now being a single mom with involved kids and a parent with alzheimers.

It's a fun life. It's crazy, and...it's tiring. I find myself running all the time and sometimes getting on my high horse about some things. However it's important to remember, just because you have an opinion does not mean you have to share it, or that it's even a correct one.

In the past few days I have found myself just wanting to be more...quiet. I crave time home alone. Even at work I crave just being left alone to work and be quiet. I would like to rest. Fall is here, I want to curl up with a book and relax, for an entire day. Alone. I will make that happen at some point in my near future.

Thank you for the reminder!