Gaslighting

Old 09-24-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gaslighting

I'm listening to The Gaslight Effect on audiobook and finding it really useful. Highly recommended reading.
I am kicking myself how much i have participated in "the gaslight tango" in the past.
No more of that dance for me!!!!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
I'm listening to The Gaslight Effect on audiobook and finding it really useful. Highly recommended reading.
I am kicking myself how much i have participated in "the gaslight tango" in the past.
No more of that dance for me!!!!
I keep seeing an ad for this and need it for myself. Not just cos of the addict but ex MIL is a chronic gas lighter.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Milano58 View Post
I keep seeing an ad for this and need it for myself. Not just cos of the addict but ex MIL is a chronic gas lighter.
it is so good. Love to hear your thoughts if you do read it.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wombaticus,

I just read something from the Arthur ( see link below) and will be checking it out once i have a chance.

Thanks,

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...k-your-reality
Old 11-22-2019, 04:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Wombaticus,

Thanks for this post. I recognize gaslighting much quicker now, and sometimes it's from first pausing, stepping back and having a bit of distance from it. Stepping out of that dysfunctional tango!!

Someone shared with me again this week some tips on grounding and moving from the emotional connections in my brain to the reasoning sectors. Another person shared with me information about the physiology of having 20 seconds to choose my response to a moment before adrenaline response (talking trauma recovery) kicks in and the body is flooded with a natural process I simply might be dealing with.

New information, outlooks on old information and practicing life skills that become easier.

This morning I repacked a chest of drawers with a new awareness of the items in them. In one drawer that used to hold many things, it now has a very special blanket, an empty box with great meaning to me and I also "packed" Happiness. Those are the three great things that drawer now holds and having an awareness of this helps in cultivating joy and happiness within me.
Old 11-22-2019, 05:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

I like this quote from Robin:

"The good news is that once you can identify and name the Gaslight Effect, you are empowered to recognize it and heal your relationship—or change it!

You can reclaim your reality and, along with it, your self-esteem and your life."
Old 11-22-2019, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you!