Head injury and complete recovery

Old 09-07-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Head injury and complete recovery

OK.. So funny story I heard from a friend. Her mum was an out and out alcoholic. Was pretty nasty when she was sober too. She was in a car accident when my friend was a teenager. Whatever brain damage/trauma she had... Her entire personality changed from nasty to nice.. and.. She no longer drank. Had zero interest. Bit too late for my friend as her relationship with her mother was too damaged by then.

Now I'm not suggesting we all race to our cars and lure our alcoholics out into the road.. I just wondered if anybody else heard of this?
Old 09-07-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Not recovery as such, but my mother has a type of dementia which attacks her memory more than other parts of her brain. While being very supportive in many ways she's always been rather passive aggressive and intimidating at times. Now she's the sweetest person you could find.

About your friend's mother, maybe the accident altered the part of her brain to do with anxiety. When I was giving up alcohol, calming exercises were the most effective way to cope with cravings.