Tricks for Anxiety

Old 09-07-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life is good

Simplicity is... a moment of silence. - Candy Paull

Alexandra Stoddard, in her book Tea Celebrations, reminds me that “when we pay attention to little things a universal energy flows through our present, magnifying the meaning of events.”

A tea ceremony, yoga, awareness of breath, connections and life. At times with others, for beyond us connections and energy. At times by ourselves, for within us connections and energy.

Prayer is another type of transformative connection. At times with others. Much of the day simply saying a prayer in thought.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

TeeHee, thank you for starting this thread. I am proud of all you are sharing as it seems you are working very hard on yourself, and a process of how you want to live.

Also, I suffer from anxiety and one thing I just learned about was this:

It's called a Grounding Exercise-
"for use during a panic attack, when you need to stay calm, or anytime you feel 'disconnect' from your body" [for me, this line easily applies to manifestations of my anxiety]
Look around you. Identify + name:
5 things you see
4 things you feel
3 things you hear
2 things you smell
1 thing you taste "

I used this a few nights ago, right after major back surgery. I was in pain lying in bed, and couldn't really move - I tend to hold my breath when I get anxious and I could really only try to channel my thoughts and "ground" them to find ease. It worked well.

trailmix- your post was really helpful. Thanks!
Old 09-07-2019, 06:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I too tend to have anxiety more than I'd like to. One thing my therapist always says is "action, not anxiety." It ties into remembering the things I can control. So, when I'm anxious about things, I try to take some, any, action. For me, anxiety can lead to a paralysis of sorts, so doing things like sorting laundry, cleaning my kitchen, and other mundane things like that can help to ground myself in the now. Also, kitchen dance parties and going for a walk can help. I'm looking forward to when it cools down some (I live in Florida, and it's still HOT) so I can get outside more. Doing things outside my comfort zone, like taking myself out to eat, also help.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

All the input from everyone is so very helpful, thank you all! I tend to hold my breath or breathe very shallow when anxiety is at its highest. I’ve even had heart palpitations and the feeling my head is too big followed by a massive headache. This also makes me just not want to move and I become very very tired and just want to sleep but can’t. On top of this I get digestive issues which I’m still dealing with today even tho I feel much calmer and had good sleep last night. I haven’t felt this bad since I was married to my ex active alcoholic husband.
I will reread all of the suggestions multiple times and will probably refer back to them when needed. You all have no idea how appreciative I am that you’ve shared what has worked for you.