How does this end?

Old 03-29-2019, 09:20 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by somewayforward View Post
hi - I have never written on this board but I read it a lot, I usually just post on Alanon forums but I wanted to write because this is so similar to my situation and I have felt so broken down and like I would never be free. I am in a very similar situation with my ex. He is relentless and it is still a struggle.

one thing I read that helped - you can’t coparent with a narcissist- google coparenting with a narcissist and there is a lot of info there! This helps, you parallel parent and that is it. Not ideal but for this situation it is required and will help keep you out of this.

secondly just make the rules - “midweek visit” equals he tells you by Monday which day it is, or some other reasonable rule that you can follow, no judge would hold that against you. Be consistent and don’t get pulled into answering questions or defending yourself. Limit your contact! Block his number - filter emails into a folder where he doesn’t pop up into your life all the time. If he writes an angry novel respond with a single line about the relevant info and move on. Keep a log of everything - when you have offered to coordinate and how it has gone badly and how has jerked you around.

This is so hard BUT don’t listen to the threats that is the biggest piece of the puzzle. You can’t control if he takes you to court again - so let it go. Do your best and do your part but if you let him control you with that fear you can’t be free. Hope this helps! Be strong!

hi somewayforward and welcome, glad you decided to post
Old 03-29-2019, 09:59 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I don't have insight, just empathy. The situation sucks all the way around.

My only words of wisdom: you can't buy peace by giving in to a bully or a seriously disturbed person. They will be angry and rage-filled no matter what you do because that is the only way they know how to be. So you might as well stand up to them.

Also, court victories build on each other. The more he loses in court, the more likely he will continue to lose. I know that's not a lot of consolation as you watch your retirement savings disappear into your lawyer's pocket, but judges get wise to these litigants, the ones who are dragging things back into court where they don't need to be. Your ex isn't going to make any headway with a judge who's been around the block.

And the best advice I ever received on dealing with an irrational person: don't JADE.