Acting "as if" - Al-anon skill

Old 02-25-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Acting "as if" - Al-anon skill

From a post online:

In 12-Step programs, we hear the phrase “act as if” often. We are guided to “act as if” we have courage when we are scared, and we are told to “act as if” when we feel like an imposter in our work lives.

Acting as if has helped me many times. It’s a great tool to shift from negative to positive thinking and it is a way to invite change to shift beyond being intellectual concepts to become fully embodied parts of us.

Act as if is closely related to, “Fake it till you make it.” I first heard this phrase in Alanon, where the “faking” I had to do was to act like I felt detachment when I was still clinging and craving. Today, there are still many times when I tell myself to act like a writer and teacher when my confidence is missing in action.

These ideas are not new and they are not unique to 12-Step thinking. Like most AA wisdom, the idea of acting or faking our way to growth and change has been around for a long time.

Aristotle wrote, “We acquire virtues by first having put them into action.”

Many years later the philosopher William James expanded on the connection between how we act and how we feel:

“Action seems to follow feeling, but really action and feeling go together. By regulating the action, which is under the direct control of the will, we can indirectly regulate the feeling, which is not,”

Old 02-25-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

My sponsor showed me how to act "as if" during times of crisis with alcoholism in order to keep moving ahead with daily things. Actions first and the feelings of certainty, assuredness, confidence and bravery follow.

Today I'm applying this skill to all areas of my life.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Love it. I do this all the time. At work, I have a fearless male alter-ego (I am a woman). His name is Chad. If Chad would do it (ask for a promotion, give his opinion without hegdging), that’s what I try to do.

In my personal life I don’t have an alter ego (that just seems silly, hah). I am currently changing my life in somewhat terrifying ways, so I make my decisions as if I am the bravest version of myself. I have lots of “oh my god, am I really going through with this?” moments but I am so much happier than the more cautious version of myself. I have yet to ever regret acting brave when I wasn’t.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingForFire View Post
Love it. I do this all the time. At work, I have a fearless male alter-ego (I am a woman). His name is Chad. If Chad would do it (ask for a promotion, give his opinion without hegdging), that’s what I try to do.
I love this! I definitely need a Chad in my life/head 😆
Old 02-26-2019, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is good

DiggingForFire, thank you!

I called a high end builder today for information about some craftsmen they work with and tapped into the "as if". As if my life wasn't demolished. As if I have respect and kindness from my extended family. [rebuilding my reputation and having kind, loving, respectful relationships with people I love is important to me]

As if I truly can be the authentic me I'm getting to know.

I greatly appreciate the email I received by reaching out. It contained new healthy, ambitious contacts, hope in my abilities and a very gracious message that was as custom as the work the company does.

By clicking "post", I act as if I'm brave and courageous.

#lawofattraction
#lifeisgood
Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Acting "as if" I am strong.

#abundantlife
#amazingpanaromicviews
Old 07-19-2019, 04:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post

Many years later the philosopher William James expanded on the connection between how we act and how we feel:

“Action seems to follow feeling, but really action and feeling go together. By regulating the action, which is under the direct control of the will, we can indirectly regulate the feeling, which is not,”

[/I]
One of those radio advice-givers used to explain it this way: You like dogs and decide to get a puppy. All the puppies in the litter look pretty much alike, so it won't matter much *which* puppy you bring home. But it is the day-to-day effort of caring for the puppy that helps you grow attached to that puppy.

I am sort of cynical in nature. Four years ago, my boss renovated the workplace and my work station was moved from out back to out front. This was good for business because now customers know that our store provides the service I am skilled at.

Every day, I smile and greet people, and this is good because my voice carries better than the beeper on the door that the boss doesn't hear so well. The other day, a regular customer came in. I don't like him, I don't like his political views, he's prejudiced. But he does observe social convention and cheerily say hello to everyone in the workplace. He had finished talking to boss, and turned toward me, and I knew he was going to speak to me. And I said, "Hi Sweetie, how are you?" And I kind of meant it.

It like the joke that there are three ways to get to Carnegie Hall: practice, practice, practice
Old 04-18-2020, 06:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in the moment

1. Make a decision.

2. Move ahead.

Somewhere between, before, during and through: continuous prayer and trust.

Prayer: Thank you, God, for my new username, for SR, for this life. I appreciate these greatly.
Old 04-18-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love this!