experience, strength and hope

Old 11-19-2018, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

experience, strength and hope

i left my xah a year ago. For anyone who is struggling, please know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is a tiring journey. It is an emotional journey. It is a journey that requires a lot of courage. I have curled up and stayed in bed and cried my heart out on many days. The pain of broken dreams is not an easy one. As I embarked on my journey a year ago of managing my codependency, I did not have faith or belief in anyone who told me that I will be able to smile again. All I knew was that it was the only thing I had and I hung onto it with my life. Through my journey, I have learned about my powerlessness over people, places and things. I have learned to find joy in small things in life. I have learned to hold life loosely and to let it flow. I have learned that I can sit in silence with only myself and be ok. I have learned to reach out to people in my fellowship who understand my struggle and I have received nothing but support. I have learned that I am not alone. I still have bad days but I have some tools now to deal with it. I am learning new things and developing new skills. I am slowly but surely starting to trust people again. I am learning that life is dynamic and not everything will work out the way I want it to always. I am slowly getting to know myself. I always knew that the hardest thing about loving an addict was leaving behind someone you love so much and letting them make their choices but now I know that the hardest thing in life is to not know who you are ,accepting that and starting a journey of loving yourself. I celebrated my birthday yesterday after 7 years with a group of friends who I have come to know through the program. It was a relief to finally not have to deal with someone who would get drunk and ruin it all. Someone who would plan everything a week before and then be too drunk or too miserable to want to do anything on the actual day. I feel a lot of gratitude and my faith grows every single day.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Raindrops,

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is great! And so encouraging. I hope to be where you are someday. I'm on the road, one foot in front of the other.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raindrops View Post
I have learned to reach out to people in my fellowship who understand my struggle and I have received nothing but support. I have learned that I am not alone.
Thanks for sharing that Raindrops. I'm so glad you are feeling on firmer footing now and can see the happiness start to grow in your life.

You reached out for support and that is so important and I know taking that step is not easy sometimes. We all want to be self-sufficient and able to deal with it all. You bravely took that step and I'm so glad you found some great support.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for giving me hope!