I can't control the PTSD reactions.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

basic core beliefs
^^This is what I've really been working lately. Surprising how many of my ingrained thoughts are just...

wrong.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and the work meeting. Think its tonight.

S-U-P-P-O-R-T being sent
Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you. 😍 My boss decided she wanted things to be "professional" so no drinking. Until after the meeting lol I had to pick my husband up from his meeting so I only stayed 20 min. I knew one guy would show up buzzed so I sat on the other side of the room, with people between us so I couldn't see him. I wanted to put my fingers in my ears when he talked but that might not have been socially acceptable, so I just took deep breaths and tuned him out. I kept it together until I got in the car, so that's progress, yay me! How are you doing with going out or being in crowded places?

Originally Posted by aliciagr View Post
Thinking of you and the work meeting. Think its tonight.

S-U-P-P-O-R-T being sent
Old 09-20-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

wamamma….one of the techniques that you can use in a public place...like on a crowded bus or on the subway....or anywhere you have to "wait"....it is to carry pieces of paper with very intricate patterns on them...or, even, elaborately woven pieces of fabric......and....slip them out of your purse or pocket and concentrate o n following the details of the design, in your mind.....
Along, with the very slow and deep breathing...this can abort a panic attack....

Also, a beta blocker can be a lot of help...if your medical doctor allows....
Old 09-20-2018, 03:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That patterned paper or fabric idea is terrific! I never thought of that.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

trailmix...I am terrified of deep tunnels.....and, at one time, I had to ride a subway to work,,,which passed through several tunnels.....I had read about the pattern thing...so, I used it....and, I knew about the slow/deep breathing....so, I used this to successfully get through the harrowing commute without event!!!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Life is good

I kept it together until I got in the car, so that's progress, yay me!

Yay, you!!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Wam- I got c-PTSD.
It rears up often- I get chronic migraines and just getting out of bed some days is exhausting. All I know to do is rest, eat, hydrate- talk to my psychologist, keep up with my depression meds, mindful breathing..etc.

It comes in waves- and like ocean waves over a rock (me) they subside and lessen..although the anxiety never seems to go completely. It seems worse now than when the catastrophic event took place 3y ago. however- with time and mindful healing stuff (to which I am sure you know about)- it will lessen...my brain is reprocessing- and with proactive CBT...it does not paralyse me as it used to.

Prayers and support to you
Old 09-21-2018, 07:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Phoenix, do you have triggers or is it a general feeling of anxiety?
Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
Wam- I got c-PTSD.
It rears up often- I get chronic migraines and just getting out of bed some days is exhausting. All I know to do is rest, eat, hydrate- talk to my psychologist, keep up with my depression meds, mindful breathing..etc.

It comes in waves- and like ocean waves over a rock (me) they subside and lessen..although the anxiety never seems to go completely. It seems worse now than when the catastrophic event took place 3y ago. however- with time and mindful healing stuff (to which I am sure you know about)- it will lessen...my brain is reprocessing- and with proactive CBT...it does not paralyse me as it used to.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
That patterned paper or fabric idea is terrific! I never thought of that.
I find sketching in a small notebook works to. Doodling really.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I seems like such a step by step process when all you want is a leap into better. I have been surprised by my triggers and the strength of my reactions which began almost at the same time my SO went to rehab. I was like some strange diagonal creature. At once relieved, joyous and at peace, at a moment in a frozen stance of being only able to breathe or a hot weepy mess. This is all part of my journey but it resonates with so many of you sharing here. Once I recognize a trigger I can cope better. The most recent experience left me shaken and slightly doubtful as to whether I had made any progress at all. But I literally talked my way through it. That worked. I keep a list of triggers and do not judge whether they may seem significant or trivial to anyone else. They are mine and I can explore the list when I’m feeling strong and rested.

What I have learnt recently is:
how to call something it when it’s bull
how to recognize manipulation (sometimes masking as negotiation)
accept the possibility that I will experience more panicky moments in the future but not be scared of this possibility.

I have a friend suffering severe stress from a series of unrelated recent events and we help each other by saying, “Hang in there. I’ll keep trying too.” Every bit helps. I also find yoga and movement really good. I have developed my own little breathing technique that I call “Break Breathing” (a combination break dancing for the breath and connection new associations with a breathing pattern.)
Old 09-23-2018, 11:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Wam- triggers and anxiety are so blended sometimes...but the PTSD is triggered. I got near fatal burns3y ago (booze) and even an ambulance passing me will get flashbacks going...or pain, or a smell...not the burns incident-- but hospital. Also many other things- which complex is added to the PTSD- from stuff as a kid- which fuels up the anxiety. Anx is there nearly all the time.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Those are some triggers you just can't avoid, esp the ambulance. Not like you can ignore one going past you. Hopefully, if we keep on our path, the reactions will get easier. Or at least won't throw us for a loop. We can do this!
Wam- triggers and anxiety are so blended sometimes...but the PTSD is triggered. I got near fatal burns3y ago (booze) and even an ambulance passing me will get flashbacks going...or pain, or a smell...not the burns incident-- but hospital. Also many other things- which complex is added to the PTSD- from stuff as a kid- which fuels up the anxiety. Anx is there nearly all the time.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I can't wait to get to the stage where its not paralyzing. I want that to happen the day before yesterday!
Wam- I got c-PTSD.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:15 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That gave me an idea. I am looking up intricate mazes. I can print it and fold it up to keep in my purse. Then I can go through the maze with just my eyes. Or my finger. Sipping water helps too. What helps most of all is getting away and walking around for 15 minutes or so.
Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
wamamma….one of the techniques that you can use in a public place...like on a crowded bus or on the subway....or anywhere you have to "wait"....it is to carry pieces of paper with very intricate patterns on them...or, even, elaborately woven pieces of fabric......and....slip them out of your purse or pocket and concentrate o n following the details of the design, in your mind.....
Along, with the very slow and deep breathing...this can abort a panic attack....

Also, a beta blocker can be a lot of help...if your medical doctor allows....
Old 09-23-2018, 06:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I dunno if I FEEL any better about life- it seems to me I feel just as crap as year ago. BUT- I cope waaay better these days. One step- one inch, one mile...take each incidence as it comes as separate - not lump it into one terrible nightmare.

One thing I am trying out- is a 'gratitude' journal. Until now I looked down on as such as being a worn out cliché- used by people who believe all the crap on shopping channels. Or maybe that is just a convenient rationalization- I just did/d not think I an worth the process. So- when something eats away at my little brain- it usually means I need to pay it attention.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wamama48 View Post
Thank you. 😍 My boss decided she wanted things to be "professional" so no drinking. Until after the meeting lol I had to pick my husband up from his meeting so I only stayed 20 min. I knew one guy would show up buzzed so I sat on the other side of the room, with people between us so I couldn't see him. I wanted to put my fingers in my ears when he talked but that might not have been socially acceptable, so I just took deep breaths and tuned him out. I kept it together until I got in the car, so that's progress, yay me! How are you doing with going out or being in crowded places?
Good news Wamama

Im doing better but I still have issues with the panic and anxiety. It seems the worst when I go out to stores. Which in itself is cruel because I love to shop. ha. But as you were saying in regards the sensitivities, superpower sensitivities/observations - when I go to a store like Target the anxiety kicks in prior to my visit because I know what will happen. My mind begins racing, and my senses pick up on the bright red carts zooming around in all angles as people dart around, sounds of kids and people talking. I truly want to run back to the car and shop online.

Whats helped me is mapping out the store visit in my mind before I enter. A little bit like looking at the designs on paper and focusing on it ? I make a mental image of where I will go first, what aisles, what I will get. I follow this and it calms me. At first I had to stick to this strictly, but now I can be adventurous and deviate. But what gets me is that my mind is still focusing too much on whats around me. It didn't used to be this way. I feel fine at home and at work, maybe because they feel like safe spaces, where things stick to a routine? Not sure, still working on it.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:36 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Life is good

Self care Haven & Pete Walker techniques:

https://youtu.be/7StTrf_eRSM

Shutting down trauma and the inner critic. Redirect blame to where it belongs.