New and saying hi!

Old 01-28-2018, 02:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and saying hi!

Hey! I am 25 years old and am a recovering heroin addict (2 years) and a loved one of an addict/alcoholic.

6 months ago I finally got up the courage to leave my husband after an extreme bout of emotional abuse triggered by a day long drinking binge that started at 6 in the morning and appeared to have no end in sight.

My husband destroyed my self esteem and warped my view of what love and respect truly is. In these last 6 months I have been on the beginning of my search to find who I am, separate from him, and I cannot remember a time when I felt more free. He made me feel so useless, talked to me like I was a useless ***** that he basically had the burden of being stuck with. I spent days and days begging him to forgive me for things that I never did and that he just made up in his head. I was so desperate for his love that I forgot who I was.

I thought that it might help to have a community to reach out to for advice, to vent, to try to help others, etc. As much as I have surrounded myself with family that truly love and care for me (I moved back home with my mom to work on myself) it would be so nice to be able to talk to other people who have been there, are going through it, or just understand. I feel like it is hard for people to truly understand how all encompassing codependency is. When I look back I swear I feel like I was in a whole different universe and it breaks my heart to think that I allowed my life to go on like that for so long.

Today is a good day however I worked for 10 hours and that always makes me feel empowered because when I was with my husband I was not allowed to even hold a dollar of our money and now I have a savings account that is all mine!

Just wanted to say hi! It is impossible to write a full introduction but I figured I would just start here.

Dani.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Old 01-28-2018, 04:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Danielle, welcome and congratulations both on your sobriety, and on leaving what sounds like a very abusive relationship.

I'd say that nearly all of us who left our addicts regret not doing it sooner but we can't change the past. You're very young, you have a long life ahead of you, you deserve to be respected and treated well and you've made huge steps.

Congratulations also on earning and having your own money! It's absolutely empowering to do that. That you were "not allowed to even hold a dollar" by your husband is financial abuse.

Stick around, this is a good place.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Dani!
Congratulations on your sobriety! And on having your own checking account! I recently opened my very own account and know the feeling although the reasons I had to do it were overwhelming.
You have come to the right place! Also glad you had a good day today!
You have a long wonderful life ahead of you!
Peace and hugs to you!
Old 01-29-2018, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome Dani!

My heart is warmed when I hear of anyone who can and has recovered from H. So I want to commend you on that!!! Wonderful!

It sounds like you were in a bad place and working to find YOU, and that is a wonderful thing! Welcome to SR, we are glad you are here!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Hi Danielle, welcome and congratulations both on your sobriety, and on leaving what sounds like a very abusive relationship.

I'd say that nearly all of us who left our addicts regret not doing it sooner but we can't change the past. You're very young, you have a long life ahead of you, you deserve to be respected and treated well and you've made huge steps.

Congratulations also on earning and having your own money! It's absolutely empowering to do that. That you were "not allowed to even hold a dollar" by your husband is financial abuse.

Stick around, this is a good place.
Thank you! It took leaving and going no contact for me to fully see and comprehend the level of emotional abuse that I dealt with everyday. Therapy has been a huge tool for me. That and keeping a journal of my insecurities that I had developed. Baby steps!
Old 01-29-2018, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you so much Hopeful! I honestly feel like leaving my husband was harder then getting sober. Getting sober was much more cut and dry and difficult in a different way, but leaving him brought me to the brink and back.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Danielle. I so glad you found us. You sound like an amazing person who has been through quite a bit in your young life.

Most of us recommend reading Codependent No More . Melody Beatie, the author, is like you a "double winner" (recovered drug addict and married a user).

Let us know how you are doing and I hope we all can be of some support.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome!!!
Old 01-30-2018, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard!

Super proud of your sobriety!!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the big welcome! I am so happy I found this site
Old 01-31-2018, 06:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I see what you are saying. Keep working on you, and your own recovery. Keep posting, you are not alone!

Originally Posted by Danielle423 View Post
Thank you so much Hopeful! I honestly feel like leaving my husband was harder then getting sober. Getting sober was much more cut and dry and difficult in a different way, but leaving him brought me to the brink and back.