The "One Year Difference"

Old 01-11-2018, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The "One Year Difference"

I've seen it myself. I've heard of it here... at Alanon... in open AA meetings... again and again and again.

It's a beautiful way of recognizing things improving as we take life one day at a time in Recovery. We go through the actions of recovery... we connect with other healthy people who've already been through the recovery process, follow their lead, set aside our whirling thoughts and struggles....

then looking back... there are major transformations that happen in a year. The year itself is too much to take one by planning ahead... or too limiting! Amazing things happen in living THIS day. In finding new ways of allowing ourselves the space to ENJOY good new things... music, food, time by ourselves, time connecting with others... while recognizing PAIN as it bubbles up and allow that also, things inside me and around me CHANGE.

Today is a given. It's here. It's available and wants recognition. Use it for playfulness. Use it with curiosity. Use it one moment at a time. Use it to learn something FUN, to help ease the pain. Focusing solely on the pain keeps it wound up. Getting outside our comfort zones into new explorations of the GOOD things in life can heal pain much quicker than wallowing in it.

So today, as I'm uncomfortable with myself, with getting outside my comfort zone... I'll keep after my Recovery. I've been brought through this, one day at a time, and have experienced the fabulous difference that makes in a year. I want to experience this again.

Old 01-11-2018, 09:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In this past year I've become stronger mentally, physically and spiritually.

I've faced the truth of childhood trauma I hadn't realized that I had lived through.

I've kayaked on lakes in Montana and Wyoming. I've been to the mountains and several cities in Utah. I've met many new people who've left huge GOOD impacts on my life.

I've ate foods I "thought" I didn't like and enjoyed them and the experiences immensely.

I let go of my previous job. It's wonderful seeing how well I grew to needing more/different/better in my life. I'm building the foundation of a new business and finding more coming together by pushing LESS to have it happen. It's so counter-intuitive... just like everything else about recovery.

I'm looking forward to life. I'm grateful to be alive.