Alcoholic- Scary Neurological Disorder?

Old 01-03-2018, 02:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

But seeing this is a RECOVERY website, why the continued putdown? Just the fact an addict/alcoholic WANTS to get help should be celebrated. Not roll your eyes and live your lives.

show me exactly where on this thread there was a put down. actually at least 4 of the posters are addicts/alcoholics and are speaking from experience.

also show me where in the OP the addict in question had demonstrated, mentioned or even hinted at wanting HELP.

it is an insult to think that the Friends and Families of Alcoholics just roll their eyes and get to live their lives. that's pretty damn hard to do with a drunk stumbling around, or crashing into things, or scaring the hell out of the kids, or driving under the influence, or passed out on the floor. sorry if i hold my Celebration Confetti until there is actually something to celebrate...................
Old 01-03-2018, 09:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I bet he is drinking before as well. My H came home from a day of shooting one time (I know great hobby to have when you're a drunk) and within an hour of coming home he was passed out. I am pretty dang sure he had been drinking on his way in.

That said, I once saw a patient who wasnt an alcoholic but he came in complaining of dizziness and balance issues. Well the first person he saw blamed it on the couple of beers he had had at lunch time. Turns out he had a brain tumor...that was pretty unusual I'm sure but I guess it goes to show that sometimes you have to be careful with blaming alcohol for everything.

But if he is not showing those things when he is sober than likely all alcohol related and more than likely because he is drinking in secret before he goes anywhere
Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have to agree with everyone here who says he may be "pre-drinking".

Keep in mind that many alcoholics have a high tolerance for alcohol and they could pre-drink an amount that would have a light drinker terribly drunk and yet you couldn't even tell that the alcoholic had been drinking after that amount.

I've seen this.

Last edited by trailmix; 01-04-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: I like editing