Open AA meetings

Old 11-11-2017, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Open AA meetings

1. For educating ourselves.

2. For additional 12 step meetings when we don't have Alanon available.

These recovering alcoholics share insight, experience, strength and hope that I need in my own recovery from this family illness.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great when people in AA and AlAnon go to the others' meetings- I am still focusing on AA at 20+ mo and will add AlAnon at some point.

Just one point in case someone reading doesn't know what an "Open Meeting" is- it means anyone can attend, alcoholic or not, and without being a member of AA ("Closed Meetings" are for members of AA only).
Old 11-12-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The only time I stepped into an open AA meeting was accidentally when the late Mr. Seren and I were trying to find the Al-Anon meeting that started at the same time. We did not even know that there was an AA meeting happening in the same building.

Interesting observation about that day, there were far more people in that AA meeting than the Al-Anon meeting....
Old 11-12-2017, 03:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seren- I think your observation about the "population" skew in AA and AlAnon is correct....and one reason I suspect it's so is due to the SO's who don't think they need their own help. Codependency and seeing [your] part in an alcoholic dynamic - it's a family/couple disease, IMO and IME experience- is not something easy to break, for the former, and none that requires rigorous honesty which is not easy to do.