How do I just walk away?

Old 10-31-2017, 11:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Xia

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
Yes, your post brought back memories from nearly 40 years ago when I dumped my addict fiance 6 weeks before our wedding date. He had told me, the day before on the phone that he "had a few beers". I knew what was coming. He'd been sober for over a year but the shift in attitude came and I had told myself - not him - if he has one more drink, if he gets high one more time - we're done.

We were together four years and, like so many others, I thought our love was so great and wonderful and special he'd stay sober to keep it.

I felt like I was in shock for a couple of weeks. I had to tell everyone, cancel the wedding plans, return gifts, etc.

After a while it all lifted and I felt like I'd crawled out from under a rock. What an incredible relief to be free of the addict drama, the never-ending fear of relapse and all the crap that comes with it.

It sounds like you're starting to see the light that comes from pushing away that rock. Hang in there Xia, it gets better.
Thank you 53500 for sharing. It's so odd that I can read your sad and painful story, and think - you dodged a bullet - and yet when it comes to my situation I don't have that same conviction. Shaking my head here at my silliness.
I like the visual of climbing out from under a rock...
Thanks again for sharing. It helps so much as I struggle through.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

(((Hugs)))

Xia, your feelings aren't silly. They are natural and normal for what you're going through.

KTF
Old 11-02-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Xia

Originally Posted by keepingthefaith View Post
(((Hugs)))

Xia, your feelings aren't silly. They are natural and normal for what you're going through.

KTF
Thank you KTF for the hugs and the assurance - thank you so much. Hugs back!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I feel your pain

When they have an obvious addicted personality in the beginning it hurts so bad to watch it get worse until u must end the relationship and get off the crazy train. But when your husband seemed for five years, like the man you always wanted then u see the gradual decline of EVERYTHING that u loved, about him, it was like watching a mental patient off of his meds. The mind boggling rationalizations, the disappearing acts, the disrespectful words and behavior, drunk driving and accidents.
Who was this new man? I would have avoided him like the plague if i had known. I don't blame him for his illness at all. I have a problem with him choosing to stay that way. We were together nine years. The last three were hell. I love him. I miss him. But that man i loved has been gone for three years.
I told him to stop holding my man hostage. I begged that psycho alkie to give him back to me and he promised he would. A promise from a sleeping in his car on purpose in the dead of winter, drunk. Right. There's very good advice here. I've taken all of it. No contact. Al anon and taking better care of myself. Living with an active alcoholic who thinks that you're the problem goes no place but down. And i let him go before he dragged me with him.'