Can someone help?

Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can someone help?

Feeling depressed - yep, I think I definately need to re-start my recovery. I would like to find an al-anon sponsor. Any suggestions - I can't go to the meetings because I have two kids at home and can't afford a sitter?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

We have online meetings here until you can sort it out. Monday and Friday night. See the Chat and online meeting schecule.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
We have online meetings here until you can sort it out. Monday and Friday night. See the Chat and online meeting schecule.

I've tried that 3 or 4 times and I can't log on??
Old 10-26-2004, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JessicaNAJ
I can't go to the meetings because I have two kids at home and can't afford a sitter?
Here's a suggestion. If _you_ can't go to meetings for lack of a sitter, then I'm betting there's plenty other folks who also can't go to meetings for lack of a sitter. So start your own meeting.

Here's what people have done around here. Grab your little ones and just go to the closest meeting tonite. Get there a little early and ask to speak to the secretary of the meeting. Tell them you can't stay cuz of your kids, but that you want to start a meeting where people can bring their kids. leave your phone number with the secretary and ask to have your number announced at the meeting so that the word can be spread to other folks who have the same situation.

Keep doing that at meetings. In a week you'll have several phone calls from other folks and you'll be on your way to starting your own "kids-welcome" meeting.

whadya think?

Mike :-)
Old 10-26-2004, 11:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mike - it's a good suggestion, but I don't know the first thing about running meeting nor do I have to time to get it all together.

It does sound like a good idea though... thank you for the suggestion, I'll give it some thought.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I my town there are meetings that have child care available also you might want to find out if there are meetings that might be willing to start having child care.....
Old 10-26-2004, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hi Jessica,

I'm sad that your feeling depressed. Not a nice feeling. When you locate alanon meetings, find out if it's okay to bring your children. The one I go to has kids running all over the place.

I'm not familiar with how others run the meetings, but there might be places that have child care during the meeting.

Once you start going regularly and meet people, you'll be able to find a sponsor. It's probably best to have one that's close to you and not on the internet. They don't seem to work out too well because people aren't on the internet all the time.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Jessica)))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))

Kathy
Old 10-26-2004, 07:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

there is one right down the street from me. I really like the people there. It a book meeting where they read a few pages out of a couple books. Most of them there are parents of addicts.

I feel an emotional attachment to my AH. I feel like I have to reassure him I'm here. If I don't, I see him go downhill and that breaks my heart.

I met him when I was 16. His mom died when he was 8, and when I met him, he just lost his brother. His father was an alcoholic and his step mother was a paranoid ****ophrenic (i don't know how to spell that...lol). He was in such a dark place when I met him. I remember spending endless hours doing everything possible to pull him into some light. I remember calling him everymorning to wake him up for school and making sure he went to work. (I was on my way to major co-dependance). He is better now, in that he don't look at things as negatively as he used to. I really don't think that has anything to do with me though. I think that's because of our kids. (Do you think i got pregnant just to give him something he could be proud of?)

I'm reading my book "co-dependant no more" again. I'm not giving up on me, I just need help pulling out of this ditch I fell in.

I'm not sure how our marriage will end up. Right now, I'm trying to detach from that emotional attachment. Why is it so hard when he's sober?