co-parenting with AXH - Do I even bother?

Old 10-05-2017, 01:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

He's a jerk who won't treat you with kindness and respect no matter what you do. All you can do is try to make the exchanges more bearable for you. Would you feel more comfortable if you brought a friend with you? Or if you meet him in a public place?

I think lawyers, child protection workers etc get a lot of crazy clients, and they have probably seen versions of your ex over and over. Unfortunately there's no way to pry the keyboard out of his hands before he sends the next drunk-text, but maybe you can take comfort in the thought that he's probably fooling absolutely no one?

As for the swimming lessons - if the GAL says you have to "run activities by" ex, to me that sounds like you are expected to inform him (not that you need his permission). You might want to clarify that in case ex interprets it differently.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but if your kid is 20 months old, you've got custody, and ex has left town and is acting crazy and ticking everyone off, it sounds like he's sliding downhill rapidly. I'm going to guess that the odds are pretty good that in a few years he'll be out of the picture altogether. He may be incapacitated by alcoholism, and you'll be a single parent but at least without a ranting nutcase in the background.

(That's the grain of hope I hold onto in my case - the worse ex gets, the more likely it is that he'll flame out and disappear soon ...).
Old 10-05-2017, 01:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

All of you, THANK YOU, from the bottom of my heart. Just knowing you are all out there and giving me support is really helpful to me and giving me strength.

I really needed your post right now, Sasha, thank you. You're right about the GAL telling me I just needed to inform my ex ahead of time going forward, so there is that....the thought of life without this constant crazy is the hope I need to get through today and this weekend.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My exah is out of my son's lives now. We divorced 3 years ago and he's had minimal contact in the last 2. Last we heard from him was nearly a year ago..happy days. It does get better. xx
Old 10-07-2017, 12:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My experience is also that as their disease progresses, they fade out of your life. Or sometimes taking up with a new partner has the same effect.

All the best to you.