Too much advice, not enough experience.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too much advice, not enough experience.

Okay peeps, if you don't personally have experience with the resources available in a particular location for a particular poster please don't be throwing out generic "have you asked ...", "you should look into...", "maybe you can stay at a hotel..." kind of advice.

The people who actually know what resources are available at a given location are the folks at the local domestic violence shelter. Not you.

If you find yourself having an "advice giving craving" and just can't help yourself may I suggest you call your al-anon sponsor? Take a walk around the block, get some fresh air, go to a meeting.

Experience is most welcomed. Advice is not.

Mike
Moderator, SR
Old 08-13-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thanks for the reminder, Mike.

People don't always know that women's shelters/domestic violence shelters are available for information and good suggestions, often assistance as well, to all women in need of help, not just those who check into the shelter.

My experience volunteering with shelters is that they will respond to just about any woman who reaches out for help. Children too.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

And, just to add on to Ann's add, they will help a man who's being abused, as well. Most don't have housing on site for male victims of domestic abuse (but may be able to help locating emergency housing at low/no cost), but advocates are familiar with all the resources, the procedures/requirements for obtaining a protective order, etc.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

thanks for the reminder Mike -
may I always remember what it felt like to be very new to this - to be overwhelmed with the reality of being affected by alcoholism/addiction

to be loved, accepted and told that I had choices helped me embrace the jewels of recovery.