Happy endings?

Old 06-13-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all the thoughtful responses. I've read them all and they've been great to think about. I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to respond yet, but know that I'm so grateful for this forum and the people willing to share from their experience. Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 06-13-2017, 03:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by firebolt View Post
Something someone here said still sticks with me - 'spending a lot of time making a mistake is not a good excuse to keep making it.' Whether your 'investment' is 5 years or 50 years, you are allowed to cut your losses to save YOUR life at any time.
The "sunk cost fallacy" drives many of us to stay in relationships that have long stopped serving us. Great article on the Sunk Cost Fallacy:

"You know a loss lingers and grows in your mind, becoming larger in your history than it was when you first felt it. Whenever this clinging to the past becomes a factor in making decisions about your future, you run the risk of being derailed by the sunk cost fallacy.....
Sunk costs drive wars, push up prices in auctions and keep failed political policies alive. The fallacy makes you finish the meal when you are already full. It fills your home with things you no longer want or use. Every garage sale is a funeral for someone’s sunk costs."
Old 06-13-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think that happy endings prove elusive in a codie-addict relationship.
And my opinion is that they prove elusive even after the addict has sought treatment and recovery.
Often there is just too much wreckage, or whatever demons led to the drinking resurface, or a myriad of other reasons.
Alcohol addiction destroys.
Families, people, friendships.
tough bell to unring.

Last edited by Maudcat; 06-13-2017 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Incomplete sentence
Old 06-13-2017, 06:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheHopeful View Post
Thanks so much for all the thoughtful responses. I've read them all and they've been great to think about. I've been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to respond yet, but know that I'm so grateful for this forum and the people willing to share from their experience. Hope everyone has a great week!
TheHopeful, the support here is unequaled. I have no idea where I would be now if I didn't learn from all the wonderful people here. Keep coming back!