This Is Us

Old 03-14-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It is my favorite show on TV right now, I cry every week, I thought tonight's episode was going to be really hard to watch, but it wasn't as tough as the past two.

I absolutely lov this show!
Old 03-15-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know! Got a big kick out of the last few minutes. No spoilers.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So annoyed that I couldn't watch it. Due to the blizzard, no TV reception. Will watch it on demand when TV is back. I think some people were unhappy that more wasn't revealed - but since they were given 2 more seasons, we'll find out soon enough.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I'm super p*ssed off that season two isn't until Sept. Ugh way too long to wait!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I know. Painful.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Finally got through the whole season. What I didn't care for about the last episode is that it didn't seem realistic that Jack would get that kind of reaction to finding out the guy in the band BRIEFLY dated Rebecca back before she'd met Jack. It just doesn't seem to fit with what we've seen of him--no over-the-top controlling, etc.

I still enjoy the show, but it all strikes me as very fairy-tale. Yes, small miracles happen all the time, but this show seems to cram in 3-4 per episode. I'm having difficulty with the suspension of disbelief--which is starting to annoy and disappoint me. It's an awful lot to ask week after week--easier to swallow with a 2-hour movie.

Sorry to be negative here. I'll hold on for one more season, probably.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm loving it - lots of relatable stuff. Some humor, some drama, a whole lot of real life goods and bads.

Lexie, I think there's been some pretty strong implications of a drinking problem with Jack, which seem to go right along with the surprise over the top reaction to her past relationship.

Then again...I've been known to blame WAAAYYY too much unacceptable behavior on alcohol addiction, when it may or may not be related

I found myself sobbing in the last couple episodes....watching the death of one dad, and knowing another is impending is a pretty raw situation for me. I am loving the show though - a good cry here and there is refreshing for me now...in small doses!
Old 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A work in progress

No, I'm well aware of the alcohol story line. I got the impression he STARTED to drink again after he found out she once dated the band guy. Again, seems like the sort of thing this character would make "lemonade" out of. His outraged sense of betrayal (presumably resulting in the return to drinking) just seemed odd, given what has been revealed about him.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I agree with Lexie. The show is terrific in so many ways, but I have found some aspects of Jack's actions--driving impaired, getting into a fight, losing his temper, at odds with the character previously portrayed. Guess it could be set down to the fact that alcohol makes us stupid, but the drama seems manufactured.
I still like the series, though.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A work in progress

And let me say--there is a LOT to like. I haven't shed a tear (but I'm not much of a cry-er), but some of the writing is incredibly clever, and the acting really is outstanding. It's just, like, TOO MUCH. I sort of get the sense they were cramming as much as possible into the first season (in case it never went any further), but everyone is just so damn WONDERFUL ALL THE TIME and there is so much REDEMPTION in every single episode, that it's like overkill. I kind of want someone to turn out to be a total *******, but the closest we've gotten to that is the guy who sent pears to the funeral. And even now, I'm thinking he'll turn up on Randall's doorstep with a tender apology and an EpiPen.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi All! I too love the show. My take with Jack is that we will see how he was in denial about his own Alcoholic upbringing (which is very familiar, Husband dominating wife, wife in denial, child is victim) when he decided to do the exact OPPOSITE of his own father. I love how we see his jaded behavior begin even after coming out of Vietnam but then he meets Rebecca. Maybe all that suppressed frustration with Rebecca comes out when she decides to go on the road and not be "there" for him like it appears she has been for so many years. He may feel like she doesn't appreciate all of the sacrifices he has made over the years. He may be a martyr deep down and the frustration gets him started drinking again. he said it was only two weeks, so that lines up with AFTER he found out Rebecca was dating the guy in her teens. He feels a loss of control after all.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

HI All- Love this show- I am hoping that the "just a few weeks of drinking" turns out to be a lie- they show Jack sneaking and minimizing for years. - and the effect on the family. His actions and demeanor at the end reminded me of XAH the last years. Also like how he got angry and turned everything around on Rebecca- and basically said hurtful things to ruin her happiness at singing again. Sounds like what I went through.

I work with end stage alcoholics and watch their painful deaths. I wished at time is could videotape and broadcast what cirrhosis, bleeding varices, and seizures look like- so people will stop and maybe think. But it wouldn't probably make any difference- the denial is so strong. Still- forgive me for this- a good ending may be watching the progression of alcoholism and the heartbreak right up to the bitter end. And the entire family still being in denial maybe. He can't be an alcoholic- he is a loving employed father!
Old 03-24-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks, qtpi, and lovemyson, for your insights about the show. As we like to say around here, "more will be revealed."
Not trying to hijack the thread, but putting in a plug for the third season of American Crime,
.ABC, Sunday nights at 10. Very good cast.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Love this show although season finale was painful to watch. That fight that they had after returning home.......felt like there might be hidden cameras in my house
Old 03-24-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I agree with LexieCat that some of the drama is overkill. I think they "jumped the shark" in the episode when it turned out William was gay - it was just TOO much drama for one episode and felt like they were just pushing for more drama. I feel like that was a totally useless plot point. It really went nowhere. So I get what you're saying.

I do think they have set up Jack to be this perfect husband and father all season for a reason - I think (hope!) that they are going to show what alcoholism really looks and what it really does to families. But first they have to make us fall in love with him and them as a couple. The sweater is beginning to unravel at the end of this season and I think (again, hope!) that they are really going to "go there" with this series. They haven't shied away from much else, so I think it's a good possibility. Also, all three kids are total adult children, so the stage has really been set.

It's messed up, but I'm going to be so happy if they really show alcoholism in a realistic light! There is so much stigma and denial around it that I think it would do our society well to see a beloved character fall pray to the disease. Then maybe they'll have some inkling of an idea what all of us have been through ;P
Old 03-24-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Have you all seen their PSA-spoof?

'This Is Us' Cast Apologizes for Making You Cry in Hilarious PSA - Us Weekly

I do see what you're all saying about the forced drama - but that's TV too, they are trying to pack a lot of tears into every episode & they are dragging out every possible way to engage the audience's empathy.

I actually don't have a high expectation that Jack is going to go out in a drunken blaze of glory (but won't be shocked if it happens either)..... I feel like this story is more about the dysfunction that falls between the cracks, the stuff that becomes hard to point a finger at in the absence of a big "event" like a drunk driving accident.

I don't find his relapse so unbelievable only because - that IS the nature of relapses for some people isn't it? Unpredictable triggers, timing & relapse management? Also that the disease is truly progressive & there is a difference between being sober & recovering? We can make the assumption at this point that Jack quit drinking but never entered recovery as a ACoA or an alcoholic.

We'll see!
Old 03-24-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

And just FYI - in case anyone is looking for a little levity following the intensity of this drama, DD & I become equally enchanted with The Good Place because it's so outrageous & hilarious. It's completely opposite this show in every way.

It had a short season but I think all episodes can still be found on Hulu, etc.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I don't know if it will be revealed that his drinking issues were more than what's been shown, but I do know one thing. I love Jack so hard.
lol
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

He is pretty cool. Not a fan of mustaches, but, on him, it works.