Leaving him to die?

Old 11-29-2016, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Leaving him to die?

I posted a while back. Things have probably progressed worse.
My father is end stage, drinking 2 litres of vodka a day. Not working, not washing, not eating. Basically living like a homeless man in ihis own home. I have spent months trying to help, rehab, hospital, doctors. Nothing works. He chooses vodka every time.
We had an argument recently and I got upset and through his vodka across the room. I told him I couldn't do this anymore, watch him for!
Now I just don't know what to do. We are waiting for his death, he is waiting for his death. With Xmas coming up, I can't bear to think of him alone, but he cannot be around my children as they would be frightened. And I don't want them to ever have to see what I see.
I just needed to write down my feelings. What a horrid disease!!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Emlou, I am so so sorry to hear about your father. I'll be praying for all of you. I wish I had the words...
Old 11-29-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Emlou- my empathies. I think I know exactly what your dad is going through. It was my brother 8 years ago- he died. Last year it was very nearly me. My family disowned me (accidental nasty, nasty burns) and did not visit me in hospital or have any contact since. I got better. Many do not. I realised that no one was going to save me anymore- my family look after me chips had long ago been cashed in. I understand why my family do not want me in their lives. They have lives. I feel for you wanting to do the right thing- but you and your family- your happiness and safety come first, to my mind. I have no answers about your dad. Perhaps talk to someone- even a grief counsellor, because it seems to me you ARE grieving- what was, could have been, is and unfortunately probably will be. Prayers to you, your dad and your family, PJ.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Perhaps, on Christmas Eve or day, if you feel you are up to it, you can go visit him without your children. You are right, they should not be exposed to someone in such a state.

Whatever you choose, do please take care of yourself. It would seem that your father has decided not to fight. While we can't possibly understand such a choice, we can accept that it is his right to do so, and know that it is not something he is doing to hurt you, nor is it anything you could have prevented.
Old 11-29-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh God, I am so sorry. What helped me was Alanon, the support of others going through the same thing helped enormously. God bless.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Emlou....I don't know where you live, but, I would call the local AA listing and ask for someone to do a 12th step with him....
I would, also, call the local senior services organization (govt,). and ask that the social workers do a site visit. If he has an income or insurance...they might be able to place him into an assisted living or rehabilitation hospital.....
Old 11-29-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That must be so difficult for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Good for you for keeping your children safe.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow Emlou. End stage alcoholism and the holidays. Not a combo you see illustrated by Hallmark.

Please take care of yourself, love those kids and let us know how it goes.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Emy,
I am so sorry, so sad. I am sending prayers to you and him! We do understand.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am so sorry you have to go through this. It is so draining and powerlessness-inducing to watch a person we love kill themselves slowly.
I watched my mother. Or actually I moved away, but still watched her from afar.
When she was finally admitted to the hospital after a blackout and had 3 days in coma, I visited her and told her that I loved her even though I did not feel it at the time.
3 days later she was gone and I felt such sadness and such relief that she had gotten peace - and I had too.
It meant the world to me that I told her I loved her, because today - 25 years later, I can still feel the love for who she was underneath the drinking.

I wish for you to be able to turn your back and walk away more often and sooner, so you take care of you more than him. And I understand that it is hard, bordering on impossible to feel you have the right to nourish you. But you do.

Hugs and thoughts
Old 11-30-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Emlou, he seems to have made up his mind to get it over with. I've seen it before and it's like they've tried and tried, and now they just want to give in.
He might get to the stage where he can be sent to hospital, but you said that hasn't worked in the past.
Accept that you can't save him; maybe something else will, but it's out of your hands.
Old 11-30-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

It's very hard to watch someone killing himself. You'd be surprised, though, how long someone like that can actually stay alive. You just can't tell. Some people somehow manage to survive that way for years.

FG has expressed what I, personally, felt was most helpful when I left my second husband, who was back to drinking this way after almost dying once from the disease. I imagined myself placing him in the hands of his own Higher Power to care for him. I knew there was nothing more I could do.

It was very comforting for me. Let social services and maybe local police know what the situation is, leave him a list of phone numbers by the phone.

And please take care of yourself.

Hugs,
Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emlou View Post
My father is end stage, drinking 2 litres of vodka a day. Not working, not washing, not eating. Basically living like a homeless man in ihis own home. I have spent months trying to help, rehab, hospital, doctors. Nothing works. He chooses vodka every time.
Emlou, my heart goes out to you, but he could very well last for years and years like this. An older gentleman friend of mine (my good friend's Dad) divorced is AW 3 years ago -- she is living exactly as your Dad is it sounds like, and has been for 10 years now. We really don't know how she stays alive, but she does. In the past year, her teeth have literally broken and crumbled out of her mouth due to lack of diet or any type of hygiene at all. She hasn't bathed in years. I agree that your kids shouldn't need to be exposed to that. My friend forces her kids to visit her mother who is in this shape, and I don't agree with doing that. I think the idea to go visit him on Christmas without your kids is a good one. Are you getting support from a therapist of Al-Anon or something?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Emlou))) Hugs and peace to you.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Emlou, my heart bleeds for you and I completely understand. I went no contact with my parents (alcoholic mother and extremely enabling father) about 9 months ago. Neither one is willing to admit that there is a problem despite the fact that my mom is obviously late stage in her alcoholism, too. I am 45 and this will be the first Christmas of my life that I will not be spending with them. I made the decision to go no contact because I could no longer bear what the pain/worry/fear/not knowing what to expect was doing to me and to my family. I could no longer sacrifice our family memories, events, holidays, etc. to the chaos and disillusionment that comes with alcoholism. That being said, it is so hard. We can't get another set of parents. Acceptance has been a huge lesson for me this year. I am sending a big hug.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Just tossing this out here

You never mentioned your mother.
Do you have brothers and sisters?
Have you tried to contact a lawyer?
You might be able to have him committed.
Casey's Law | Operation UNITE
Old 11-30-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you for the replys.
I have a feeling the end isn't any time soon, the last hospital visit his bloods were ok and no Visible liver damage which is shocking. In the early days he was super fit and healthy and for some reason his body can tolerate the abuse!
He is losing memory though, constantly repeats the same thing, makes up stories. If he falls and cuts himself (which is becoming more often) he can bleed for days.
My mother left him 15 years ago, but she still helps if she can.
over the years he has just about alienated everyone through drunken rage. The only people left is my brother and I.
I think I will try social services to see if there is any other help out there as he is a danger to be on his own. I have also looked up alanon and there is a meeting in my town which I will go to next week.
I always knew it would end badly, I just had no idea that this stage would be so draining and consuming. Every day I wake up With knots in my stomach. Wondering what he's done in the night. Has he fallen?got lost wandering the streets? It's a constant anxiety.
Thank you for the support and understanding. It's so hard to explain to anyone, as the response is always the same.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

My heart goes out to you

Hoping you can get some answers to help you.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

More prayers and then some.