Help on recovery from 30+ years of daily alcohol intake

Old 07-17-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help on recovery from 30+ years of daily alcohol intake

Greetings from India guys!

I have been trying to reach someone who can help here, My dad has recently stopped alcohol consumption after he was unable to digest it anymore. Suddenly he felt like puking everytime he would drink.

The restlessness ended only after he would throw up, all the body throwed out was thick yellow liquid. All the tests including liver, blood sugar etc are normal. The daily intake then turned to ocassional beer intake which also started causing the same problem.

It's been above 2 months he has not tried any form of alcohol (he still smokes frequently) and has no cravings for intaking alcohol again.

Initial withdrawal symptoms included:
1. Loss of appetite
2. Pain in thighs while sleeping.
3. Lack of sleep
4. Restlessnes
5. Anxiety
6. He used be tired throughout the day without any physical activity.

Though he has recovered from all the symptoms other than being tired throughout the day, and lack of appetite. Recently he developed some discomfort as he felt some heaviness in the chest area. As he explains, the heart seems to sink suddenly causing discomfort. Based on a doctor's advice, he started using Divol and the sinking feeling has gone but the appetite is still no where to be found.

He is emotionally week and is finding it hard to recover from the withdrawal symptoms, he has retired from his business and hence the only scope of some physical activity is gone.

I will be thanfull to any doctor for advicing on how to proceed with my dad? The family is really happy and there is no other problem that might be a matter of thought.

Once again any help here will be much appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Sikka!

I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through, but you should know that this is not a medical forum but a support forum. We are not qualified, or allowed, to give medical advice here. Your father should speak with a doctor as soon as possible.

But if you are also looking for support around having an alcoholic in the family you have absolutely come to the right place. I hope you will share more of your story.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I will be thanfull to any doctor for advicing on how to proceed with my dad?"

im glad your here, but medical advice is against the rules. it seems you would get the best advise from HIS doctor,no?