How to get a sponsor for Al-Anon or Codependents

Old 07-14-2016, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to get a sponsor for Al-Anon or Codependents

I am working hard on myself and have heard others suggest to get a sponsor. Do they exist for Al-Anon or Codependents?
I fall into both of these but working more on the Codependent side of myself and life. Suggestions?
I am attending 1 meeting a week Al-Anon as its difficult to get a sitter in the evening for my baby of 15 months and yesterday some in the meeting seemed annoyed that I was there again with her. I am in the Chicago land area by Northwest suburbs . Suggestions please...
Old 07-14-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

In my experience, some Naranon and Alanon meetings actively encourage working with sponsors, others not as much. The best way to find out if anyone is willing to sponsor you is to ask at a meeting. If you have found a particular woman at a meeting that seems to have the healing you seek, that person may be a good person to talk with about sponsoring.

I'm sorry it is a challenge getting out to more meetings - sometimes groups offer child care during the meeting, or other members will help out so you can listen. Like people, each meeting has a different personality, so perhaps you may still find a group that offers a chance to attend with your little one. The resources here may help.
http://al-anon.org/al-anon-in-illinois

There are also online meetings through Alanon (info on the link above as well) if you want opportunities for support between in person meetings. So glad you are reaching out for support!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You might want to check out Celebrate Recovery which is held in various churches. They, typically, have child care....

dandylion
Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey, newbeginings,i don't have any advise for ya but I just wanted to say reading ya say youre working on yourself and lookin for a sponsor brought a smile to my face.
Old 07-14-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks tomsteve! much appreciated! very, very very!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Is there someone at the meeting you can ask to sponsor you so you can work those steps? Working the steps are the key to recovery; not attending meetings!
Old 07-18-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No one at the one I have been going to is sponsoring or up for it. I have a friend who is in AA and said she knows of a few ladies in Al-anon and will ask around for me. It is intimidating as it is but I need the structure there to help me move on with myself.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have the impression the "doublewinners" in alanon, ie those who are also in AA (or other 12 step programs) as well tend to do more stepwork on average. My alanon sponsor is one and the others (who identify themselves) generally seem step-oriented.

I would never make this a general statement but it seems like those into working the steps talk about them often. When I first started in alanon I thought they were fine as-such, after a few months it was clear the steps are where the action is. My sponsor is a double-winner, and old-school AA, he uses blueprint for progress since we were in alanon mode- he didn't hit me with the 4 column inventory lol, but we promptly got busy.

One thing that helps me a lot are AA/Alanon speaker recordings, there are many many online as podcasts, simple mp3 recordings and youtube has a bunch as well. I listen to quite a few, community mostly but sometimes when I'm spending time in the shop as well. It was an AA step study by some hardcore Big Book guys that convinced me to do the steps.

Good luck out there! If you can try different meetings I think you'll probably find someone.