Not How It Should End

Old 05-19-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My heart is broken for you... BIG HUG.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss. Keeping you my thoughts.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There is nothing more painful then unfinished business and words never said. I've been there and it will run through your mind of all the things you shoulda, woulda, coulda done/said. Be strong 💜
Old 05-19-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So very sorry for your pain and loss! Know many of us are thinking of you. Praying for you tonight.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:23 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

(((((((((((My Sympathies))))))))))))

Originally Posted by freefinally View Post
Very long time, no post. I've had an on/off relationship with an alcoholic BF for many years. Long story short we were living together the last 3 1/2 years until I kicked him out last Tgiving due to his drinking. However, we still kept in touch & saw each other occasionally even though we were apart. He visited here last week & we made plans to vacation together next month.

Yesterday I had two calls from his mom & thought it was just her dialing in error but I decided to call her to see what was up because ABF and I hadn't spoken since Sun & whenever I called I just got voicemail.
She tells me that she found ABF dead earlier yesterday I was just stunned. IDK what cause of death is but his mom is of the opinion it was a heart attack. He was cold when she found him. IDK if an autopsy is scheduled but am curious if the drinking was a contributing factor.

During our last visit I noticed his hands shaking but when I mentioned it, he denied that it was happening. In any case whatever the cause it won't bring him back.
I am heartbroken & sad that this is how things ended. We still have unfinished business! I have some of his belongings around my house. I grieve for him, our relationship & his family. Vent over.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Not How It Should End - Update - The Funeral

Yesterday was ABF's funeral. I handled it pretty well only having to leave a couple of times during the service to keep it together. I finally met ABF's son which I was very happy about. He hugged me & thanked me for being there for his father these last years. While speaking with the son I saw my"support person" (hereafter called SP) make a face at something I said but which conveyed that I did/said something wrong.

At the end of the service it was announced that there would be a luncheon. I was surprised as I had been told that there would not be one.
I decided I wanted to attend although SP strongly tried to dissuade me.

The experience was absolutely horrendous. SP refused to go inside the restaurant instead sitting in the car texting & calling me saying we needed to leave, I was making a fool of myself, did not belong there, was not wanted, that I reeked of desperation, was trying to hold onto ABF through his mother, I didn't know anyone there & no one knew who I was was, I only went to talk to his children & former wife, it was awkward, I was acting as my Nmom would, SP texted her SO saying I was being a leech....

There's a lot more but in the end SP came in & literally dragged me out of the restaurant while I was speaking with ABF's sister in law & cousin. I was not even able to say farewell to ABF's family especially his mother who had always supported our relationship.

Needless to say it was a very tense five hour ride home. When I said SP had bad manners, I was told I had bad manners for being there when I was not wanted it & it was not good for me to be there. Mind you, I was mentioned in the obit as a friend! I told SP that I was furious that the final goodbye to my friend of 30 years had been what SP wanted not what I wanted. I feel cheated, sad, empty & lost.

So he's gone and it's not the way it should have ended.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:51 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm even MORE sorry about the experience you had at the service - it sounds like it would have/could have provided some very much-needed closure for you & end up being very healing for you personally. It's too bad that your SP couldn't step back from their own opinions & judgments to see that.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You definitely need a new SP.

I am so very sorry it turned out that way.

Hugs, many hugs.