EMDR Therapy?

Old 04-19-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

EMDR Therapy?

Has anyone had this? If so, can you relate your experience, if it helped you or not, etc?

I am thinking about trying this but am looking for some people with experience with it. I know some police who it has successfully helped, and someone with lots of experience recently told me he believes it would help me as well.

Thoughts.....
Old 04-19-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have not done it, but I have a dear friend who is a therapist. She uses this technique with veterans suffering from PTSD, and the reviews are generally very good.

I say there's no harm in trying something new! If you don't like it, or it doesn't help, no harm done.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm interested as well. Looking firward to hearing some responses!
Old 04-19-2016, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No experience myself but I was sure the question had been asked before...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...6561-emdr.html
Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I've heard of its having good results. It does sound a little "woo" when it's described, but even if all it has is a placebo effect, it seems to work for enough people that it's worth a shot. Unlike some therapies, it doesn't seem likely to cause any harm (the way a medication, or some kind of weird therapy that messes with your head, might).
Old 04-19-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What are you suffering from ? PTSD? Yes it can help. To tell you about my experience would be one heck of a long post.

I just recommend finding a counselor that really knows what they are doing. Sometimes EMDR can stir up some really tough stuff, which can make things more difficult initially. As someone with PTSD, I do not trust easily or make healthy attachments. I found that I needed attachment therapy first, to form a trusting safe relationship with my therapist, then the EMDR is much more effective and safe.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Frick for sharing that. Good thoughts.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My son did it and stopped--it was stirring up more than he wanted to deal with and he refused to continue because he felt worse instead of better. He was 12-13 at the time. He's 14 now and I'd like him to continue at some point--because I think making it through the "worse" is ultimately necessary to become a fully healthy adult for him.

I thought it seemed very effective, and if he were an adult who could navigate the emotions it would've been a very good thing.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

I had never heard of this therapy. It sounds very promising. I relive childhood trauma quite often. I am starting to work with a therapist now. Learning about what happened, and why I react the way I do in situations has already helped a lot. I realize it is not my fault, and I can't control it. That alleviates some of the shame and guilt associated with it.

I am interested in hearing more from those who have tried this method. Thanks for bringing it up. Hugs, Magic
Old 04-20-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Magic, I believe I will be persuing this in the future, I will update as I go!