Shaking my head

Old 03-24-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Shaking my head

So, AH and I are still living together, with him scheduled to move out beginning of May and the divorce pending. We've been co-existing pretty well, as I've been focused on my own recovery and al-anon. He has been attending a couple AA meetings a week, but still no sponsor or working the steps (that I know of.)

He really only has 1 friend that he sometimes hangs out with. (He seemed to become anti-social when he stopped drinking.) Anyways, he tells me he's meeting up with his friend tonight and I asked where and he said his friend wanted to meet at a bar, even though AH suggested they just get dinner since friend knows he's not drinking. But I guess friend was like, "Oh, come on, I want to watch some of the basketball games." Wow, what a supportive friend.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Your husband had the option to say no to going to the bar. I also found it helpful not to ask questions such as "where are you going." His recovery is his and your recovery is yours.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sigh. Well Jada, at least you have a bit of confirmation towards your decision to seek a divorce.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You're ASSUMING that he is telling you the truth when he says he suggested meeting elsewhere and that the friend insisted on going to the bar.

Really, you can't assume he will tell you the truth about stuff like that. If he's moving out and you're getting divorced, the less you are in his business (and his head), the better.
Old 03-25-2016, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you are about to divorce, there is no reason for you to care that much anymore. I know it is easier said than done . . . but . . .

Being physically present at AA meetings means next to nothing if he does not embrace recovery himself. And his recovery is his own, and yours is yours.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the reminders! Honestly, I have been doing better about staying out of his business! Progress...not perfection, right? ;-)
Old 03-25-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jada1981 View Post
Thanks everyone for the reminders! Honestly, I have been doing better about staying out of his business! Progress...not perfection, right? ;-)
Good on ya Jada. As most of us know, this is really tough stuff you are living through. One day at a time; next right action.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like a painful situation that would require a lot of strength, to continue living with your spouse even though you've already decided on divorce. If you don't mind my asking, why are you waiting until May to live separately?

My other thought was that, yes, your recovery is yours and his is his. Questions and expectations can lead you away from your serenity and will only cause resentment.

((((Big Hugs)))
Old 03-29-2016, 09:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Talltrees View Post
It sounds like a painful situation that would require a lot of strength, to continue living with your spouse even though you've already decided on divorce. If you don't mind my asking, why are you waiting until May to live separately?
Hi Tall. Mostly for financial reasons and to give us time to get everything figured out. May can't come quick enough!