moving forward with house

Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

moving forward with house

So he's not visiting DS 2 tonight. A little surprised but not shocked. Hasnt seen him x1 week (×2 if you dont count when drunk) So it begins. Honestly, I feel so sad for little man but very indifferent towards the stbx. Not angry or sad. Just ready to move on.

The house.. can't afford it alone. Per our pending divorce, we would sell. I'm sure he would need to be there to sign off on the papers, right?? It's in both our names.

What do you do if the alcoholic skeedaddles? How long should I wait?? Kind of fond of my good credit score.

I know I can ask my attorney... just wondering if anyone has encountered this specific situation..tia!
Old 01-25-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, he will have to be there to sign off on the house since his name is on it. I would say the quicker the better to just get it over with in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He can skedaddle yes. Until it's a court ordered step you really can't do much. Once the courts order it, if he skedaddles, you can sell yourself but the title company has to do something specific to have his name partitioned out of the sale.

I went through this on my divorce. My ex fought long and hard to have all properties named as marital assets. When she won that fight, I said OK time to start paying half the liabilities on them. To which she refused. So I then asked the courts for a sale approval. Which she fought.....and lost.

So she just refused to sign. Her thinking (with the help of her attorney) was it will break me financially so drag it out as long as possible.

So I sold them short and the title company used that court order to get around her lack of signature. But I don't recall exactly the steps.

Of course then she skipped out on paying her half of the taxes on the short sales.

*sigh*.

That was 12 years ago. Man does this bring back memories.

Biotch.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In Virginia where I am a Realtor he does not have to be present to sign- they can over night the deed or whatever to him to sign. He probably will have to sign listing papers and a subsequent contract but these days all can be done via electronic signing - you shouldn't have to see him if you don't want to - at least here it is that way. If you can't locate him not sure about that - an attorney hopefully can help with that - ughhhhhh. If you need a Realtor there I can do some research and help you find one that is good - you can message me.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In many states, you can sign at separate times. No need to all be in the same room at once.