Old 09-07-2015, 01:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Language of Letting Go, September 7

SEPTEMBER 7

You are reading from the book "The Language of Letting Go."

Powerless over Others

Stop making excuses for other people.

Stop making excuses for ourselves.

While it is our goal to develop compassion and achieve forgiveness, acceptance, and love, it is also our goal to accept reality and hold people accountable for their behavior. We can also hold ourselves accountable for our own behavior and, at the same time, have compassion and understanding for ourselves.

When we claim powerlessness, we are not claiming irresponsibility. We have no power to control others, what they do, what they did, or what they might do. We're stating that we are willing to end an ineffective life based on willpower and control. And we're beginning a spiritual, mental, and emotional journey in which we take responsibility for ourselves.

We are not victims. We are not helpless. Accepting powerlessness when that is appropriate enables us to begin owning our true power to take care of ourselves.

Today, I will avoid making excuses for my own or someone else's behavior. I will let consequences and responsibility fall where they belong.

©1990, Hazelden Foundation. All rights reserved.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is a good one. I still need to remind myself of it at times.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I truly really needed this reading right now.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A wise SR member once posted that "people have the right to make any decision they want to make. They also have the right to bear the consequences of that decision."

I, or my friend or my sister or the gal I work with, have the right to make any decision I please, any at all. But the consequences of that decision, good, bad or indifferent, are all mine too. No excuses, just responsibility.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Baby Steps

Thank you I needed this today. I struggle with this, not myself taking responsibility but I take responsibility for everyone else's actions, I find it difficult to see where I'm responsible for something and where someone else is as I feel it's my fault when everything goes wrong