Buying a car with a DUI on your record?

Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Buying a car with a DUI on your record?

Can you buy a car if you have a recent DUI?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Into the Void

As far as I am aware, you can buy a car with 10 DUIs. But you need a driver's license to drive it. Often a DUI results on a suspended or revoked license.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

If the car is financed, comprehensive insurance is required, and this would be very expensive with a DUI on one's record.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
Often a DUI results on a suspended or revoked license.
Even just one DUI?
Old 04-28-2015, 08:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Even just one DUI?
Sometimes. If your license was suspended or revoked they would have told you and asked you to surrender the license. Unless you are still awaiting disposition of the case. And yes, getting proof of insurance to register the car which is required in many states can be very expensive with a DUI. Believe me, I know.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That might depend on what state you live in. DUI's have nothing to do with buying or registering a car where I live. First DUI and your license is revoked from 30 days to year (might still be able to drive to work or alcohol program). When you get your license reinstated you have to prove that you have updated insurance on all your vehicles. If you don't own vehicles you still have to get insurance as a non owner. It will be very expensive. Some insurance companies give you the boot and you have to go find a high risk company $$$$. There are no insurance requirements to get a license without a DUI on your record. I think it is 7 years before things drop off your record but I might have that wrong.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As long as you have a license in hand you should be able to I don't believe car dealerships have the ability to check whether your license is valid, you only have to present it. That may be state by state.

In my state if you are arrested for DUI they take you license right then and there so no you would not be able to buy a car until you got it back. You will receive a mandatory 30 day suspension which can be appealed within 10 days of receiving the DUI to go before an administrative hearing. After 30 days you pay a $210 reinstatement fee and will get your license back on first offense. Of course this is all before the the "real" hearing where you can be suspended again.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I do believe that in NY, you can buy, insure and register any vehicle that you want to. You just can't drive it off of the lot. A restricted license is only good for going to work, church or the doctor, so I guess if the dealership is near any of those you could get away with it, but it's not worth the risk.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would, however, not buy a car together with someone who had even one DUI.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you can but, but how old is DUI? And aren't they supposed to have some kind of device attached that checks your breath before you can start the car? At least that is how it works in this state, and device is a few thousand dollars.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

As long as you have a license you can. DUIs don't matter. I've bought a car before with a restricted license from a DUI., so it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Can you buy a car if you have a recent DUI?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

It's not so much the DUI's on your record, but whether or not you can the insurance. Most states I know won't allow you to purchase and drive off the lot until they've seen proof of insurance, and with DUI, or DWI, or OWI, or DUI's, or DWI's, or whatever, this can get mighty expensive.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 05-02-2015, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
It's not so much the DUI's on your record, but whether or not you can the insurance. Most states I know won't allow you to purchase and drive off the lot until they've seen proof of insurance, and with DUI, or DWI, or OWI, or DUI's, or DWI's, or whatever, this can get mighty expensive.

(o:
NoelleR
This should one of the bigger picture consequences that should be told or emphasized to dui offenders. It's definitely not just about the license.