Anxiety

Old 08-15-2004, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

i'm sitting here and my ah has been drinking on and off for about 3 weeks. in the past, when he has gone thru withdrawal, he's had seizures. this has been after months of drinking. what can i do to keep the anxiety down about encuntering another seizure? i drive myself crazy, can't sleep, etc. i try to "let go and let God" but sometimes that just doesn't work. any ideas?

cwohio
Old 08-15-2004, 01:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am still an alcoholic, albeit a "functional" one. My ex-boyfriend drank himself almost into the grave. I am not exaggerating: he was drinking 24/7. Early December, he hit bottom and quit cold-turkey. Not even twenty-four hours later, he had a seizure. I was terrified, stuck something between his teeth so he would not swallow his tongue, and called 911. Of course, by the time the EMT came, he was emerging from the seizure and was halfway coherent, so he would not go to the hospital.

This was not pretty and I can understand your anguish. When it happened, I thought he was going to die! Seizures happen within 48 hours of stopping the drinking. If your b/f is over the 48 hours, then he'll be O.K.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Angry

this has happened several time before, last one 2 months ago. 2 seizures, finally got him to go to er and they were just about to let him ago and he had a big one. stayed for 5 days. it's only been probably 24 hours so i have a hile to go. his usually happened after about 72 hours - argghhhh - and my al-anon meeting last night, no one showed up - just when i needed it most!!
Old 08-15-2004, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Seizures

I researched the withdrawal problems. One of them is the possibility of seizures. Supposedly, if the subject gets a seizure, it will be within 24 hours of quitting drinking. Most important is that, if it happens, he might get another seizure within the following 48 hours. Is there anyone who can stay with him, just in case?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

he's retired and home by himself during the week (part of his isolation problem). i could take the day off i suppose - more axiety -arghhhh
Old 08-15-2004, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.
Here's some good information.
Alcohol Withdrawal.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks dan - i know it can be dangerous - it's just trying to get my ah to realize it! (not)
Old 08-15-2004, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

CWOHIO

Does he have any family/friends who can check on him?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i can call some of his friends and see if they will check on him tomorrow - thanks