Are there any readers with children that are the A?

Old 08-15-2004, 12:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are there any readers with children that are the A?

I just posted a few minutes ago, but then i started reading other posts that i have missed since visiting this site last. I noticed that almost everone of them involve a husband or a wife. Are there any parents out there
who have had to deal with A children? When my daughter mixes pills and alcohol the result is out of control completely. She is 24 and too old to ground. Am close but cannot stand to put her out on the street...she has no family to run too. If there are any parents I would enjoy listening to their solutions or just listening to some of their stories.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Frannie,

There are plenty of parents here. I am one...my son is going to be 30 this October and he is in jail for his 5th DUI.

Allowing our children to remain in the home is not doing them any favors. They simply have more money, little responsibility and no motivation to move on. That is not the real world. Even if your daughter was not an alcoholic she should be on her own at 24.

Educate yourself about the family disease of alcoholism, come here often, go to alanon meetings if that is what you choose. You need knowledge, support and strength to be able to see what is going on with a clear head.

Hugs,
JT
Old 08-16-2004, 12:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Frannie - ************{Frannie}}}}}}} First of all a big hug from one mom to another. You most assuredly are not alone in your fight against a child A.

My name is Lisa and my son SonnyBoy is a 19 year old doper and alcoholic. I have been though pretty much everything. The only difference is that I had to take the step of putting him out of my home. Not saying that you are going to get there...but if you do...you can cry on my shoulder hun.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that indeed...there are all sorts of people on this board. Ask and ye shall find.

Mom
Old 08-16-2004, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A little south of sane

Location: "For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe."
Hi Frannie,
My son, Michael, is 24 years old. He's currently living in a recovery program. His addiction is to heroin. Michael is currently 75 days clean. It's the best he's ever done.

Michael could not get better at home. We tried that, and then we tried that again, and again and again. The hardest thing I ever did was to put him out, he went into a detox program and then into rehab. I honestly think now, it's the hardest but it's the most loving thing I've ever done. I just got off the phone with him, it was a fast conversation they always are in the rehab as there are only two pay phones, but he sounds so much better, strong and for the first time I see him looking towards a future without drugs.

Posting here has helped me in so many ways. There are a lot of mothers, fathers, sisters brothers, wives, friends......just so much ..good stuff here.

welcome

hugs
sigh
Old 08-17-2004, 11:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Glenda

Hello Frannie, I too am the Mother of a 24 year old A son. You are not alone in your pain. I think nothing could hurt as much as watching your child go through all that goes with being an A. I guess all of us here are basicly going through the same thing and it really helps me to read how other Mothers handle the situations as they arrise. Keep hanging on to your own sanity and know that no matter what happens it is not your fault and that you cannot control what will happen next. My thoughts will be with you and I wish you the best in dealing with the future. Glenda