perils of future tripping

Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

perils of future tripping

This is slightly OT but I learned an important lesson today and wanted to share.

I am a teacher, a young one. I generally have good relationships with my students but there are always some I can't get on side.

After an awful lesson with one such group, I pulled a boy back for detention. He was extremely rude and agressive and ended up pushing me. There was no witness and he claimed I had been in his way. The school didn't want to get involved because his parents are apparently also very challenging and legalistic. In short, my fault, my problem.

So I had been dreading calling home. I had convinced myself that the parents would be awful, claim I had in some way provoked their son by standing near (but not in front of) the door and I wwould be labeled a bad teacher by my school and I would not be taken on permanent contract etc. I lost sleep over it.

Just got off the phone with mum. Mum was extremely supportive, has agreed to keep in touch with me and monitor his behaviour and sanction him at home. It couldn't have gone better.

Lesson I learned; don't stress about future things or assume bad stuff will happen. It's not worth the stress. Enough happens in each day to deal with in the present. That's enough.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a good lesson!
I'm a preschool teacher and I very often have to engage parents in talking about their children's behavior. It is always nerve wracking. Many parents simply believe that their child is the golden child and don't understand that their behavior at home and at school can be night and day and it is completely normal.

Good for you for making the call to do something about it and shame on the school for not supporting you!
Old 02-05-2015, 09:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shil2587 View Post
Lesson I learned; don't stress about future things or assume bad stuff will happen. It's not worth the stress. Enough happens in each day to deal with in the present. That's enough.
YES - I have wasted so much energy worrying about the future and for what?! Can't control the future just like I can't control others.

Thanks for sharing!!