A long overdue update...

Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A long overdue update...

Just want to wish everyone a Happy and Peaceful New Year. I haven't posted in a long time, and was most active when my life, and especially me, was in turmoil. I would really like to thank everyone for their kindness and advice during those times.
A year ago, I made the decision to leave, we were having a lot of trouble adapting to sobriety, and I had finally had enough. However, as a last ditch attempt, I attended a family week at a rehab centre, I call it an Al Anon boot camp.....I will never be able to explain what happened there, but I believe that that week changed my perspective dramatically. It was tough, I had to look at my behaviour nd my expectations, but I came away with being able to detach. It was a wonderful gift-
We are still together, our relationship is so much better - and it's all down to changed attitudes. I no longer look to people to make me happy, I keep to my side of the street, and I have finally realised that I do not have the power to affect anyone's mood. It sounds easy, but it took work, lots of AlAnon and reading here. I'm not saying this is forever, but by keeping it in the day life is grand!
Thank you all again, just wanted to share a bit of hope and joy at this time of the year��
Old 12-31-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update, Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wow- what a message of inspiration! I hope and pray that I too will be able to make such an uplifting update such as yours!!! That is awesome!! Have a blessed New Year!
Old 12-31-2014, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I need to go to a boot camp for enabler's too. Good to hear that they exist .Does any parent ever recover from their child's addiction without the guilt letting them go.