I feel completely morbid

Old 12-30-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I feel completely morbid

So, my AH is showing signs of liver disease and he refuses to go to the doctor. His belly is extremely distended, he's lost weight pretty much everywhere other than his belly, can't eat much in one sitting, is gassy, has a full feeling...the list goes on and on. He doesn't think that it's anything horrible (I think he's in denial), but I am really pushing him to get life insurance. He's unemployed and while we are doing ok with just my salary, we are really living month to month. I just feel so incredibly morbid pushing him and he is really angry at me for insisting. I just don't know how to approach it or even if it's possible to get insurance at this point. Does anyone have any experience in this? thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, how is he affording to drink if he is unemployed? Are you funding his addiction?
Old 12-30-2014, 09:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bunnies!

If he has any documented history related to his drinking, his odds of getting good insurance are lowered. In his current state, the medical exam for the policy probably wouldn't go so well, either. But, it all depends on the insurer, the policy, and other factors. I'm confused along with ubntubnt - if he's unemployed, how is he affording to still drink?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He may be able to get a low sum policy without a physical but most life insurance companies will require a physical to insure. Might be a way for you to get him to the doctor, but I'm not real sure you will end up insuring him if he is sick.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry.

I kept some encouragement to go to the doctor, but prepared for what was coming by taking care of myself physically and emotionally (and financially in your case).

There are survivors benefits from social security that you might warn to look into if he has contributed to social security.

I think life insurance would be very difficult at this point, just from my own experience.

Take care of yourself first. Do you have a good support system?
Old 12-31-2014, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He isn't drinking anymore (I don't think)but I still consider him an alcoholic because he's certainly not in recovery either. I think I've heard people call it a dry drunk? I think he sneaks drinks at his dad's house though, when we visit.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

herestohope....there are any number of policies that you can get....and, you don't always have to have a physical exam. You see them adverstised on tv every day.
The thing is...it takes a period of time for the stated amount to "kick in"....usually, about 2yrss. (If the insured passed before that time they will give you the amount of money that you paid into it each month. (that will be very small, of course).

I say to do a google search. You can find this information quite easily, actually. I don't know his age---but, the AARP website will usually give a good evaluation of the policies and what it entails. (you don't have to be old to use that website)

I think you absolutely should pursue this. I have seen so m any patients who appeared to be at death's door with liver disease recover---with abstainence. Even so---you can never predict how long a person is going to live...either way!

Stop worrying about alarming him, so much. Maybe talking about life insurance and funeral plans will be enough reality to get some co-operation from him.
LOL.....a maneuver that is sometimes used at interventions when the person is reluctant to go to rehab....is to ask the person what their last wishes are and do some funeral planning while everybody is gathered together. Talk about reality feedback!

dandylion
Old 12-31-2014, 06:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

buy a life insurance policy on him... I did that with my Hubby.. will help pay for the problems in the end.. not much enough to cover problems.. yep..
Old 12-31-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can buy life insurance on him. I have life insurance on my X. It's not a great amount, I think $50k, but it would pay off my house if he dies. He does not have to be the owner of the policy. Try Symetra Life, they have a good reputation.

Hugs.