Alcoholic Bro will have no where to live soon

Old 12-27-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Alcoholic Bro will have no where to live soon

My brother has been an alcoholic for over 40 years. He has been living at my mothers house with another sibling. She passed away recently and the house will have to be sold soon. He drinks all day, is very ill, has to walk with a walker and doesn't take care of himself at all. Sibling took him to the doctor recently, he said he didn't know why he was there. Dr. ask him who the president was and he said Clinton. Dr. kicked him out.

he has gone through multiple rehabs and always starts drinking again because he didn't really want to stop in the first place.

I can't just kick him to the curb would love any ones ideas on how I can help.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Might give them a call

The Salvation Army - Adult Rehabilitation
Old 12-27-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The doctor kicked him out? Why??
Old 12-27-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Welcome to SR.
Dr. ask him who the president was and he said Clinton. Dr. kicked him out.
It could be dementia or even a wet brain. Unless he did something else like threaten the doctor, I am absolutely apalled that a so called medical professional would kick out a sick person. Personally, I d report him to the board.
The Salvation Army is a good idea but if he has serious mental damage, you might have unfortunately to consider putting him in an institution.
Anyway, the first step would be for him to detox so the damage can be assessed.
Sorry for your loss and that you have to deal with this additional heartbreak. I hope you will stick around, you will find a lot of support here.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You don't mention how old he is. I work in healthcare, dr kicking him out because he answered wrong on what we call an orientatipn question is unethical. If this was the case I would never let him see that dr again. If he is over 55 I would cal your local department for the aging and explain what's going on . They may have many resources for him. If he's significantly mentally or physically impaired it may be time for longterm care. Bottom line he needs somewhere to live soon. Hope you find help. Also dial 211 in the state he is in or enter 211 plus the state he is in t fond resources. Some are free or discounted
Old 12-27-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I ment orientation question. Asking who current president is tests whether or not a person is oriented to time.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The sibling who took him to the doctor said the doctor would not treat him because he was intoxicated.

I was furious too.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if he was in any way disruptive, the doctor may refuse to see him again. If the patient himself wonders aloud why he is there, the doctor may feel that the patient's unwillingness or inability to comply may make treatment impossible. My last GP admitted she had "fired" patients, and in another forum I'm on a woman received a letter telling her her behavior was disruptive and she needed to find another doctor.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I have a feeling there's more to the story than his saying Clinton was president and the doctor "kicking him out." That really doesn't even make sense--why even bother asking the question if the wrong answer gets the patient kicked out? It could be that based on the rest of the examination the doctor felt he was malingering (which is a real phenomenon).

He probably qualifies for Social Security Disability and/or other government benefits. I'd contact your state department of human services and/or social security, and an attorney, if possible.
Old 12-27-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Patient's rights, Information about Patient's rights

"A key ingredient in the concept of informed consent is that the consent must be voluntary. This means the patient must not be overly medicated, intoxicated, under threat by the physician, or under extreme duress."