Has Alcoholism aged you?

Old 11-17-2014, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has Alcoholism aged you?

First off I'm not trying to insult anyone. I guess still on here to find support while i continue to understand this disease that has affected me in some way. Anyhow, I recently saw a pic of my exabf. Looks like nothing had changed with him, he's still drinking. Not to mention, looks like he has gained 15 pounds from alcohol and looks like he had aged a few years. He has that whole puffy face look, reddness to face along with minor wrinkles. The face in general just looks completely dyhdrated. His once youthful look has transformed into a mask of dry clay. I hardly recognized him. It's a sad thing to see.

Have you noticed how alcoholism has aged you?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Um, you DO realize you are posting in the Friends and Family forum, right?

I'm sure it's aged all of us who have lived with it, but it sounds like your question was directed to alcoholics.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry I thought I posted in right place
Old 11-17-2014, 05:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Roxxxy;5023857]First off I'm not trying to insult anyone. I guess still on here to find support while i continue to understand this disease that has affected me in some way. Anyhow, I recently saw a pic of my exabf. Looks like nothing had changed with him, he's still drinking. Not to mention, looks like he has gained 15 pounds from alcohol and looks like he had aged a few years. He has that whole puffy face look, reddness to face along with minor wrinkles. The face in general just looks completely dyhdrated. His once youthful look has transformed into a mask of dry clay. I hardly recognized him. It's a sad thing to see.

Have you noticed how alcoholism has aged you?[/QUOTE

Hi , I'm a makeup artist and I can tell you that drinking as well as smoking ages the skin drastically. I can always tell a heavy drinker when they sit in my chair.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sure has aged my mate. He constantly complains about it too, among other things...
Old 11-17-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I started having negative physical effects from the stress of living with my ex addict. One and a half years after leaving him most of the physical issues have gone away!
Old 11-17-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can tell you that it aged my husband. When he stopped drinking for a few months he lost weight and thought it was a miracle. Then people, especially family that hadn't seen him in a while, couldn't believe how young he looked and wanted to know his secret...it was a secret all right! He's never told him about his addiction and it's not my place to do it for him.

On the flip side, while I was and am not a drinker, dealing with the stress of being married to an alcoholic aged me internally and I'm sure showed on the outside. I swear he's the reason I'm graying!
Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Physically yes. My ex looks old and unhealthy. Emotionally it has the reverse effect. Turns adults into bratty toddlers.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

[QUOTE=Roxxxy;5023857]First off I'm not trying to insult anyone. I guess still on here to find support while i continue to understand this disease that has affected me in some way. Anyhow, I recently saw a pic of my exabf. Looks like nothing had changed with him, he's still drinking. Not to mention, looks like he has gained 15 pounds from alcohol and looks like he had aged a few years. He has that whole puffy face look, reddness to face along with minor wrinkles. The face in general just looks completely dyhdrated. His once youthful look has transformed into a mask of dry clay. I hardly recognized him. It's a sad thing to see.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stress sure has aged me! Seriously thinking about getting botox. When did I develop lines and why are my eyes looking so old?!

As for my husband, alcoholism makes him look like a hot mess. He gets really bloated and ruddy and he looks sad all the time. When he takes care of himself he looks athletic and cut and fresh. I freaking hate alcoholism.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My husband looked in his 30s when we met (he was 23). Now he's in his 50s, and is not terribly well preserved. He's been drinking and smoking since his teens, and it shows.
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The amazing thing is , that once you stop , the healing begins immediately . I haven't had a drink in 16 months and i look younger now than i did in my 15 years of drinking.

We have to remember , it's a poison we are drinking every single time that alcohol passes our lips .

It is fixable with determination and support xxx
Old 11-18-2014, 02:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roxxxy View Post
Sorry I thought I posted in right place
watch out they are a surly bunch

I know alcohol consumption aged me. I looked older and puffy and redfaced. Six months after I quit drinking my appearance returned to youthful healthy looking me. I get a lot of good comments on my appearance. Amazing what it (alcohol) does to people.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Also a makeup artist and agree with Doyoureallycare2 - can spot a drinker immediately. Vertical lines of dehydration and reddish skin. I hate having a job where the client pulled one the night before. HATE IT. Skin so dehydrated can't put enough moisturizer on to reverse it the skin sucks every bit of moisture out of the makeup ugggh.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My husband's alcoholism isn't a secret to his family, especially his son because we all know when he's been at it but his looks certainly change for the worse! He's been looking very good lately in his sobriety. It has definitely aged me as well from stress... So stung, make me an appointment to please! lol I'll keep my natural highlights though... I like the silvery strands!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

With a program of recovery in place
to live upon and incorporate in our
everyday life, good nutrition, vitamins,
exercise, spiritual progress, help from
our beauty section at Walmart or ur local
drug store where there is an unlimited
supply of lotions to lighten dark spots,
wrinkles, dark circles, makeup, haircolor,
and so much more, we can reverse the
age process or turn back the clock in how
we look after what poison of alcohol or drugs
has done to our appearance inside and out.

I looked and felt old and worn out at
the age of 30 when I entered recovery.
There after and for the past 24 yrs, I
look and feel young at the rip ol age of
50ish.

It takes work but well worth it the longer
I remain sober and it can be for you too.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Roxxxy! Your thread is fine where it is unless you would like it moved.

My family members who drink/drank all aged prematurely imho. Grandmother, grandfather, step-grandfather, aunts, cousins, sister, step-son, etc. Those who stopped drinking (only one or two) have regained their health and look great now....
Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think AXH's alcoholism aged me more than it aged him. We were 15 years apart, but people always thought we were the same age.

The last time I saw him, though, he had aged a lot. His skin was grayish yellow, he had lost a lot of weight but had a pot belly (he was always in good shape, always athletic), and he couldn't follow the court proceedings. As much as I've lived in fear of him since I left, at that point, I felt sorry for him.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think it ages me. Good incentive to quit
Old 11-20-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Seems to be good that, based on what some are saying in this thread, that a person's health can bounce back. If you can look youthful again, what about the effects to the skinny legs, big belly, bloated face and organ/brain damage...does all of that repair/reverse too (once you stop drinking)? I hope so.

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
watch out they are a surly bunch

I know alcohol consumption aged me. I looked older and puffy and redfaced. Six months after I quit drinking my appearance returned to youthful healthy looking me. I get a lot of good comments on my appearance. Amazing what it (alcohol) does to people.