Pot found in newborn's urine, CPS called, what happens?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Kind of off-topic:

Eh, it's more about questioning whether the condition of pregnancy is a default to test all pregnant mothers like they're criminals. Lots of things lead to potential negative outcomes in pregnancy, including smoking, drugs, drinking, soft cheeses, shellfish, not taking your vitamins -- but arguably the worst for poor prenatal outcomes is stress and poverty, even above and beyond drug use during pregnancy. IMO, automatic criminalization of pregnancy is really bad public health policy. Criminal law tends to step in where treatment and services for addiction and drug abuse are more appropriate.
Great point. The same point could also be made for all A's in general. Instead of sending them to prison, we could spend that money on treatment and free up our prison system for criminals who really need to be incarcerated. Now, please don't get me wrong. There are A's who do things while intoxicated that should be incarcerated for those crimes.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am pregnant and it depends on the state. In KY, they test for drugs at first appt and again at 26 weeks. Not sure what they do at birth.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Low income women and minority women are more likely to be drug tested which makes the practice classist and racist.
This is a direct consequence of having government pay for healthcare: If government pays for your prenatal care, it is in their interest to make sure that your habits throughout pregnancy does not result in a child with health problems that will cause higher costs for the government.

You pay for your own health care, the government has no right to require any kind of testing.
I didn't even think of that. The mother is Hispanic - which in L.A. is not a minority but that's beside the point. The father is Caucasian. Not sure how the medical care was paid for. Not private insurance for sure. Maybe the ACA.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by 53500 View Post
I didn't even think of that. The mother is Hispanic - which in L.A. is not a minority but that's beside the point. The father is Caucasian. Not sure how the medical care was paid for. Not private insurance for sure. Maybe the ACA.
It s seems to depend more on the location of the hospital than on the patients HMO. Hospitals located in poorer neighborhood or minority ones tend to test more than those located in ritzy areas
There has been quite a few newspapers articles about it, especially in NY.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can only share my ES&H. A couple who are like "my kids". He got arrested with baby in tow and a crack pipe. They tested mama who was positive for THC. They were all placed under DCS, but mama tested negative under future tests, as her babies were more important than the weed.

I know different states have different laws, but with the major news of babies falling through the cracks of DCS, the importance is put on the baby's health, as it should be IMO.

I was a nurse with neonatal bablies (prior to losing that career as an addict) and the importance is placed on the baby. My feeling is that is appropriate.

Dealing with DCS isn't fun, there are a lot of questions, but the child deserves the best they can get. Again, this said from someone who has dealt with DCS and other law officials for my niece.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 12-12-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

What county?

Originally Posted by Kboys View Post
I am a CPS Social Worker. I know that, at least in my county, a child would not be removed from the mother's care for that reason ALONE. If it were methamphetamine or another drug, yes, but not just marijuana. If the family has had past involvement with CPS, with older children, then maybe, yes.

But if this is the first time that this family has come to the attention of CPS, then, in my county, the child would remain in the care of the mother, and a case would be opened. The mother and the father if he is involved, would be asked to follow a Case Plan, which would include random substance testing, D&A counseling, etc, and if they did not follow the case plan, there would then be reason to remove the child.

In my county, it is not routine for a newborn to be tested for substances, but is done if the doctors have had reason to suspect that the mother was using throughout her pregnancy.
what county is it on Texas. Please help
Old 12-12-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Children should not breastfeed for two weeks while pot is in the system. There usually has to be more than pot for CPS to take away the child. They may just do a home visit. It seems to depend how honest and involved the parents are.
Old 12-13-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovemenow33 View Post
This is a post from 3 years ago, and I don't think KBoys comes around these parts anymore.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lovemenow33 View Post
I'm in California
Old 12-13-2017, 08:49 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kboys View Post
I'm in California
And here you are back on SR!!! I retract my earlier statement!
Old 12-13-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CentralOhioDad View Post
And here you are back on SR!!! I retract my earlier statement!
I still come around once in a while......