He had a drink, what do I say?

Old 07-28-2004, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

He had a drink, what do I say?

My bf informed me that he had a drink the other day. He asked me what I thought of that. I was a bit surprised, although he has said before that he might have one occasionally. I did not know him when he was out of control. He told me that 5 years ago he decided he didn't like himself much because he was a drunk and voluntarily went for therapy. They put him on antidepressants. His therapist released him earlier this year and told him he was ok to be on his own.

After reading all of your experiences, I realize that this may be the start of a real problem. I told him that as long as he didn't hurt himself or me, I really could not tell him what to do. I know I am not responsible for him and I know I will not accept it if he gets out of control in drinking. Do you have any suggestions for me. When he told me, it sounded more like a challenge to see what I would say. I don't know, I see trouble brewing.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gracey

It is so hard to predict and determine what someone else is going to do......what i would try to do is take one day at a time......and try not to worry about what he is or isnt going to do......

Old 07-28-2004, 10:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Take it one day at a time. Until it's a problem, it's not a problem. Don't let worry mess up a good day. Hugs, Magic
Old 07-28-2004, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Magic

So true!
Old 07-28-2004, 12:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a good plan, I want to reinforce what you have already said yourself. "I told him that as long as he didn't hurt himself or me, I really could not tell him what to do. I know I am not responsible for him and I know I will not accept it if he gets out of control in drinking." That says it well right there. I love what Magic said, she is awesome isn't she? Hugs! Teggie
Old 07-28-2004, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

You are so right about Magic. And about what you said. I feel much better now. Thank you all and much hugs.