Important: Al-Anon Forum Members Please Read:

Old 09-30-2004, 08:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What a lovely, truthful spin everyone has put on this new development.
Magic, I agree with YOU; and this makes me so grateful now. Thanks for a different way of seeing things! BlueJay
Old 10-19-2004, 01:32 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

I'm very sorry to hear about the legal confusion with Alanon but I'm very
happy to find this sight and to beable to enter act with all of you. Is the
name really the most important thing? I think the important issue is
the coming together of friends with the same experiences and needs.
Old 10-20-2004, 05:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Amen Dee!
Old 11-08-2004, 11:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

relationship hopping

i want to talk to someone about dry alcoholics and in fidelity or lack of committment. the (ex) alcoholic moving from one relationship to the next. setting up a back up relationship before he quits the one he's in, and then dumping the person (of course, me, in this situation).
anyone know anything about this? whether it's a pattern? etc.?
Old 12-08-2004, 10:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

That's too bad that I missed out on the daily readings while it was still available, but I guess I'll just have to find a support group to go to before I go crazy from all the anger I've got bottled up. There's always something legal about everything these days.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Because I'm not sure I heard anyone mention it, the Al-Anon daily readers are available at Al-Anon meetings (they're sold at cost, which is on the cheap), on their website at http://www.al-anon.alateen.org/publications.html and on amazon.com

Also, sadly, they are sometimes found in secondhand bookstores.

"And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today."--Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 417 (formerly p. 449)
Old 01-08-2005, 06:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

OK...so I don't get it...I visit another similar site, Essence Of Recovery...they have always, and still do, post daily readings from ALL the books, Alanon included...they also used to sell AA and Alanon stuff on their site...and they mention and use the Alanon name...their section for friends and family is entitled "Alanon"...so how come it's ok for them and not for you guys? I like your site much better anyway, with or without Alanon's trademark, name or stuff for sale or quoted! Great job, guys!
Old 02-09-2005, 02:27 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Jon, this is my first sight that I have found real help, I am not alone. Thank you for what you do, I have this page on my home page so I can get here quickly when I need to. It is a shame tha Al-Anon have nothing better to do!!! How much income have theu wasted on legal costs??

Don't worry, don't let the big guy get you down. Thank you again.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:27 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Exclamation using the Al-Anon name

I've been an active member of Al-Anon for over 23 years. I am saddened by Al-Anon's concern about using the name and logo. If it was truly a problem, wouldn't you have all the 12 step programs including AA asking the same thing?

There are many disturbing changes going on in Al-Anon. This is only one, but a very serious one indeed. I have tried to address this issue in my district, area and directly to world services, and no one will respond! I hope some other Al-Anon's step up and stand up for the principles on which Al-Anon was founded!
Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Cruelty-Free

Originally Posted by plainsgirl

There are many disturbing changes going on in Al-Anon. This is only one, but a very serious one indeed.
Welcome to SR, plainsgirl!

Can you expand a bit on what "disturbing changes" you are referring to? You've got my curiosity up!

Peace!
Old 03-05-2005, 08:26 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

The name Al-Anon Family Groups, Inc. became the name of the clearinghouse founded in 1951 By Lois W and Ann B. It is a non profit foundation. The printing, copying, and unauthorized use of Al-Anon material is protected by copyright in order to protect the foundation from going broke printing these materials and selling them at cost.

The internet has become a great source of the exchange of knowlege and communication in this wonderful age of technology. But understanding the need to protect the very foundation that enabled us, as Al-Anon members, to find our own recovery is very important. I want to ensure that the unknown numbers of people now and in the future can have that same opportunity I was given.

Buying Al-Anon literature is supporting Al-Anon as a whole. As nocellphone said, it is widely available. I have bought several books for people in my group who either couldn't afford it, or as gifts. Understanding that I am responsible to do my part to uphold the unity and well being of Al-Anon, I support Al-Anon WSO in their request to refrain from the use of the Al-Anon name and reprinting of the literature. Hugs, Magic
Old 03-06-2005, 09:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

Personally I'm sorry for the legal issues and the time it takes away from the more
important topic which is recovery. However I think what happens here at this sight
is the most valuable part of my recovery and I want to thank the people who keep
us going (Jon) everyone. We all recommend al anon to newbies and any one who hasn't been to al anon but I don't think al anon is the only answer. So I am gratful
for SR and everyone who is here. Smiles--Dee
Old 05-22-2005, 06:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Jon-

"Last Friday I received a cease and desist order from Al-Anon Family Group Headquarters, Inc. through their attorneys, Ostrolenk, Faber, Gerb & Soffen, LLP in New York".

After reading your post, the above stuck in my mind the most. It's what kept me from going over board on a heated debate. All I can say is, because of my education, career and love of the law I would want to read this notice in it's entire form before I actually sat down and wrote out a letter to Al-anon Family Group Headquarters. Just the facts.

See, I would want all the facts. I would want to know who is actually running this site, the exact state location (state jurisdiction)...my response would have to be deep and legal because it's a legal issue.

Jon, thanks for fighting the good fight on your end for all of us. Your time and effort is greatly appreciated.

I would have to agree with Magichappens, however.

Kat-
Old 07-20-2005, 04:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
caughtup

newest member

I am new to all this and not really sure how to start or post a message or anything. Really, I am looking for some support and I guess a place to vent and ask questions ... any help???
Old 07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hi there, caughtup, and welcome.

Go to the Friends and Family forum where you found this message at the top, then click on the New Thread button on the top left.

There's loads of suppert here - looking forward to getting to know you.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:26 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
caughtup

Thanks for the help minnie
Old 09-07-2005, 07:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi, I am new to this forum but an old Alanoner (30 years) and I know that in order to keep traditions and keep the program going for every generation it is really important in the big picture to keep logos and trademarks protected. These things are not in the public domain because of Alanon's interest in maintaining their traditions and they go to a great deal of trouble to maintain these trademarks. If you think about it, it is important to maintain some sort of control over what even very well meaning people can do and say in the name of Alanon. It is also important that so called professionals do not put their name on our 12 steps and charge sick people for what we give to one another so freely.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:32 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Jon,
someone mentioned getting approval for this forum from Al-Anon,if you were to do that there would be soooooooooo many rules to follow. I like SR forums the way they are. We all know this is not an official AL-Anon site and personally I like it that way. Take what you want and leave the rest and please everyone don't " " more than a paragraph of anybodies words, heaven forbid they should help someone get through the day.
Keep up the good work.
Hugs and Prayers,
Loulouise