Going on vacation tomorrow

Old 07-20-2014, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going on vacation tomorrow

Short background...found out last thurs that AH was drinking after ~600 days of sobriety. We've been married 2 yrs, together for 2.5. I found out about his alcoholism/addiction 2 mos into our marriage, kicked him out after 4 mos. 2nd marriage, no kids together, kids separately.

So we are leaving for Florida tomorrow. AH's sister and family is coming with us. I made it very clear that if she weren't coming along then he wouldn't be coming with me and my boys. She knows about his "stumble".

When I found out about his drinking and drugging the first time, it was the day before our vacation 2 yrs ago. History is repeating itself badly.

He is going to meetings. I have attended 2 al-anon meetings so far. And doing some reading about co-dependency. Wow is all I have to say about that lol

I don't want this vacation to mask our problems. We currently sleep separately when the kids aren't with us. His sister asked me if I am still going to have fun. Of course I am but I don't want to give him the wrong impression either.

I was looking forward to enjoying a few drinks in Epcot in the different countries. With my AH on one side and my Mormon SIL on the other, that ain't happening.

I've already looked at a few meeting spots down there and so has he. We will see ..,
Old 07-20-2014, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Wow.

dandylion
Old 07-20-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So sorry you are going through this especially right before a family vacation. Keep the focus on you and your boys having a great time. Enjoy Epcot!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck to you! If it helps, I'll be happy to share my favorite non-alcoholic treats from Epcot (& all of Disney World), lol. Have fun no matter what - there is SO much amazing stuff to enjoy!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Good luck to you! If it helps, I'll be happy to share my favorite non-alcoholic treats from Epcot (& all of Disney World), lol. Have fun no matter what - there is SO much amazing stuff to enjoy!
This is my 21st trip there...I know I'll be back . A pineapple dole whip float will have to do this time around! I'll have to indulge on food instead!
Old 07-20-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yensid View Post
This is my 21st trip there...I know I'll be back . A pineapple dole whip float will have to do this time around! I'll have to indulge on food instead!
Ah.... yes, you have good taste, my friend!

Now I'm craving the spicy chicken waffle from Sleepy Hollow, lol.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're looking into meeting spots for during your vacation? That not healthy.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why wouldn't that be healthy Jason?
Old 07-20-2014, 08:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just returned from a mini Disneyland vacation with my AH and our kids. I went to a meeting the night before we left and I think it helped a lot and AH went to a meeting each night while we were in Anaheim. Happy parents = happy kids. Do what you need to do to keep yourself healthy and happy. And have fun!!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Um, why wouldn't that be healthy to look into meetings? That's actually extremely healthy.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Ah.... yes, you have good taste, my friend!

Now I'm craving the spicy chicken waffle from Sleepy Hollow, lol.
I haven't tried that...not really up my alley but that's def for my AH. They have the best ice cream cookie sandwiches there...now I want one of those! Lol

I can't wait to get my SIL and family to try the Beverly coke *evil*
Old 07-21-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I completely understand this. We took a trip with my family a few years ago, I knew my XAH would drink, and he did. Thankfully, I did not let it ruin my trip. He only drank enough that I knew, not everyone else. I just let go and went and did my own thing.

I hope no matter what happens you are able to have a nice time. And I think it's very healthy to realize you need meetings and to seek them out, especially during times that are prime for relapse.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Discovering that my H had restarted drinking on our WDW vacation was really one of the moments I learned detachment on my own. I had a blast and let him just be. There was no way I wasn't going to be happy in the 'happiest place on earth' (D--- it!).