Courage To Change 07/11/14

Old 07-11-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 07/11/14

It seems to me that many of us deal with our anger in inappropriate ways. Denying it, we stuff it, or we go off in fury, directing the feelings outward. I, for one, opt for avoidance of any conflict, and then I turn into a doormat. The Al-Anon program encourages me to acknowledge my feelings and to be responsible for how I express them. The problem is not that I get angry, but that I do not know how to direct my anger appropriately. Lately, when I feel like hitting somebody, I take my pillow and beat the daylights out of my bed. When I want to wipe someone out, I attack my dirty oven. I try to release my anger as soon as I can so that I won’t build resentments that will be harder to get rid of later. I’m learning to communicate my anger too. I may not do it gracefully, and my words may not be well received. It means facing the awful discomfort called conflict, but I can’t run away any more.

Today’s Reminder
Feeling our feelings is one important part of the recovery process. Learning how to balance feelings with appropriate action is another.
“When angry, count ten before you speak; if very angry, an hundred.”
Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-11-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Expressing my anger is something I definitely need to practice. Gonna try the counting thing.

Right now I try hard to keep quiet until I can collect my thoughts and then try to bring it up but that is so hard without feeling the rage again.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i used to get a hammer and go and hammer a block of wood for my anger it sure did work wonders for me
today i dont need to but back in early days i did
today i laugh at myself when i feel a hit inside of me that would want to make me react the problem i have now is not reacting with my mouth so i am still working on that one but i know i am getting better at it

this site has helped me a lot in facing that as some posts i want to say what i feel and i have to try to think think think before i say it lol
so its great for the mental excersize i get : )