SMART Recovery

Old 07-09-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SMART Recovery

Does anyone know anything about SMART Recovery?

This is what my AH is doing instead of going to AA. This is the fourth time he has relapsed.

He is seeing his counselor today. I just wanted to get some feedback on the program.

His reasoning is that AA has too much of a focus on the God stuff and he doesn't get much out of the people talking about God all the time (we are atheists living in the Bible belt).

Is this just an excuse? Is SMART legitimate?

Thanks.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes Ivywild SMART is a legitimate recovery program. I cant speak to your husbands intent, but I am a member of Smart and can tell you the people there take their recovery very seriously. SMART is based on certain types of cognitive behavioral techniques similar to some of the things used in counseling. At least this is what Ive found. Your religious views are your own at SMART because its like when you go to counseling, religion doesnt come into it so much.

Im actually a family member and involved in this part of the program. They support CRAFT (community reinforcement and family training) and this is why I went there. I find it to be a very supportive environment and I have myself stuck in a pickle now because I think my husband would like their program himself, but Ive yet to tell him Ive been using any online support. He went to rehab and works with an addiction counselor, and I think this would tie in nicely. Pickle

You can go over to Smart website and read around. They have face to face meetings as well as online meetings. Ive never done one but maybe this is part of what your husband will do.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Definitely legit. AA isn't for everyone. I use it in addition to a few other programs. I take the things I like from each one and I just don't worry about the things that I don't agree with. I hope he finds a program he can get in touch with.