OT: is this codependent/ACOA behavior?

Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT: is this codependent/ACOA behavior?

Ok this is going to sound SO stupid but I'm sitting here obsessing over my move...over something small. Last time I moved I was isolated and had no one to help so I hired this moving company and paid I don't know not that much in my estimation but my friends think it was a lot ! LOL.

Well this time I'm in a different spot and I have two younger male friends willing to move my stuff...I think it would save $450 but I'm a bit codependent/ACOA (LOL) and I'm worried about them breaking stuff by accident or having trouble getting the appliances (washer/dryer and fridge) down the awkward duplex stairs I live in (the place I'm moving to is easy access so I'm not worried there).

Anyway part of me thinks I'm being a ridiculous over worrier and should let the guys move my stuff...the other part thinks "what if they accidentally break something?"....or I think how tired they will be after. hahaha. And I know the company did it in 4 hours last time which was nice and I'm thinking with the do it yourself move it would take all day.

I'm leaning toward the moving company but saving that money sounds so nice...I mean I could buy curtains for the new place (the new place is so big it's going to be half empty). I just don't know if I'm being a brat wanting the movers and worrying over nothing....

I know this obsessing is my ACOA/ACON issues - worrying about perfection!! LOL. For me making decisions is hard..especially money related ones....honestly I normally don't label myself codependent but this well seems that way..hahaha.

Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Professional movers break stuff too. We used to move every 18 months or so (military) and something always ended up broken/chipped/dented. My brother and I moved to our new house in about a day, with help from DS12. Actually moving the stuff didn't take that long, it's because we unpacked as we went so the house was totally set up when we finished.
Do what you're most comfortable with. I found a lot of nice cheap curtains at the Goodwill. Plus a desk chair and some other nice stuff.
FWIW, I suffer the same acoa agonies when faced with decisions. I always want the guaranteed perfect result that will satisfy everyone and save me money and all that other crap I can't control.
Hugs and good luck at your new place. Sounds really nice.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah...I just realized this past year that my struggle with making decisions was an ACOA/perfection thing....ha! I guess knowing is half the battle!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is it codependent? I don't know. I'm wildly codependent so I might not see it. To me, the concern would be "what if they are so super nice and help me and then they break something and I can't tell them I'm upset about it -- whereas if I hire a moving company and they break something, it's a business deal and we can deal with it as such?"

As for the move per se -- I think if you hire moves, you'll be perfectly comfortable directing traffic while they move, while if you have friends help you, you'll feel obligated to help carry, meaning it will be more work for you.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

if you are a homeowner your property should be covered under your insurance policy?? i'm not sure how that would work with a renter's policy, but you could certain ask your agent? they might be able to add a rider or something.....

i've moved a gazillion times and rarely has anything broken - i'm an EXCELLENT packer, you could take the box i packed the crystal in and launch it from a catapult and nothing would break! not sure about the appliances tho! they'll definitely need a dolly/hand truck and those strap thingies.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Anvil, I am calling you when I need to move my grandmother's china!!!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lillamy View Post
Is it codependent? I don't know. I'm wildly codependent so I might not see it. To me, the concern would be "what if they are so super nice and help me and then they break something and I can't tell them I'm upset about it -- whereas if I hire a moving company and they break something, it's a business deal and we can deal with it as such?"

As for the move per se -- I think if you hire moves, you'll be perfectly comfortable directing traffic while they move, while if you have friends help you, you'll feel obligated to help carry, meaning it will be more work for you.

Haaaa....you are right about the work stuff - I don't want to carry things!!!! I had an idea I think I'm going to hire the movers for the "big" move but the week before get a small truck and move the smaller stuff to minimize the hourly moving costs. The movers can do the stuff that concerns me and my friends can help with the small move before.

Anvil-

I am NOT an uber-responsible packer and I like it that way...I used to be uber responsible and uber careful and ughh I didn't like the pressure. So I pack the best I can and well I guess if it breaks cause of that well my bad.....but yeah I'll pack the best I can and hope for the best.