NPD = World Domination

Old 06-02-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

NPD = World Domination

Do you know what many super successful business people have in common, as per CNN? Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I laughed out loud reading the article because I was thinking NPD and then to my shock it was actually included in the article.

7 traits the rich have in common - Jun. 1, 2014
Old 06-02-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's not surprising; however, there are a lot of real losers with NPD, too.

I was once married to one.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I am not surprised at all. Although, I would make a distinction between having some strong narcissistic traits and an actual Narcissistic Disorder--though I suspect a few of them slip in there also....LOL.....Ted Turner, for example.

Stung--you might want to check out Hollywood, also.....oh, I forgot to mention Wash, D.C., also.lmao

dandylion
Old 06-02-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When I was first learning about NPD I researched megalomaniacs too and apparently many politicians are megalomaniacs. Scared the crap out of me because I've always thought I'd be a good politician and my husband actually used to work in politics. My counselor doesn't think I have NPD though, thankfully.
Old 06-02-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My AH fit the profile to a T. He's also very successful at his job and a narcissist. He's not rich yet but on his way. I doubt he'll make it though. He has started the downward spiral with the drinking. It's pathetic. A man who makes multimillion dollar deals and pee'ed on himself in bed at night. Ugh.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Stung, the very fact that you questioned yourself and were concerned that you had NPD, shows that you don't have that particular personality disorder! NPDs never think that they do anything wrong. Everyone else is messed up.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This rubs me the wrong way.
A non-professional saying his clients have NPD is icky to me. It's like someone calling a skinny girl anorexic, without knowing the hell anorexics go through. No doubt, there are a lot of people with narcissistic personality traits among the successful -- but also among the gloriously failed, who sit in a basement complaining that the world owes them something.

Having worked with quite a few extremely wealthy people, I also think it's an unfair assessment. I know it's just one of several traits they identify, but most of the wealthy people I've known have been incredibly hard-working, incredibly generous, and incredibly humble about their own short-comings.

I think somehow we WANT extremely rich people to "have something wrong with them" so that we don't have to envy them so much.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Suki- hell I dated one, married one and was engaged to one. Lesson finally learned.

Stung-DD hit the nail on the head. A narcissist will never think they are at fault, will never admit a problem, will not care or even think they have a problem and will be hell bent on destroying any one that suggests they are not perfect.

Lillamy- successful and ambitious people don't have to be narcissistic. They can work hard and make a name for themselves. The problem with narcissists is they literally can not care for anyone else. They will take anyone down, including spouses and family members. They can bankrupt and ruin people without a second thought except maybe that is what the other person deserved for being to guillable or stupid to fall for something. Scary, scary people.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stung View Post
Do you know what many super successful business people have in common, as per CNN? Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I laughed out loud reading the article because I was thinking NPD and then to my shock it was actually included in the article.

7 traits the rich have in common - Jun. 1, 2014
Lol....I learned all about it during my Psych class in Nursing School. My teacher used Donald Trump at the poster child...
Old 06-03-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

NPDs are heartless souls who are only about #1. That's a big reason why they're "successful" (if $/power is your definition of "success"). They don't care who they tear down or leave in their patch of destruction to the "top".