Weird Similarities

Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weird Similarities

I am just wrapping up a three month long training/educational program that was mostly enriching and useful.

The director of said program, imho, could well be an A.

First bits of evidence:

1. His skin color. Terra cotta during a few hours one day, pink and white the next few. That ain't no tan.

2. Unpredictability. He slips in half an hour into a class, then mysteriously disappears. No one knows where he is. Slips back in unexpectedly. Doesn't always have the necessary materials. Tries to play it cool.

3. Mood swings. He walks in as though he'd just been doing battle with evil, and the evil in him emerged victorious. In comes Mr Hyde acting like you'd better keep your distance cause there's more to him than that fakey Mr Nice Guy he pretends to be. Then tomorrow he's all goofy and sheeplike - but we know better.

4. Mr. Negative. He wants us to fail. He looks down at the entire field and all of the students, perhaps the talented group of instructors as well. He is above everyone of us and if we make a mistake, he is happy to point it out. He is smug in his superiority. He will even be quick to point out flaws that aren't. But he is always right.

5. Anxious to make a buck. This is unusual to find in this land of well-heeled gentlemen. But our Mr Director wants to sell everything. He sees us suckers and he is going to sell us as many unecessary gadgets as he can.

6. Never All There. This guy is never genuine. He seems sheepish and good-natured, but this is a false personnae. You might feel pressured to buy into it, but this isn't the real Mr Director. This is a con.

7. Lords his power over us. You might have him figured out, but don't you dare let on. He can make you or break you, as he wants you to know.

8. His ex-wife and children live in Australia. How much further away could they get?

I could be totally wrong.

But no one has ever reminded me more of XAH than this guy.

Wish I were done learning God's lessons. I'm beat!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, here's another!

9. Speaks with a thick tongue. Very experienced at disguising same.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I work with a guy who I'm 99% sure is an addict. (Calls in "sick" a lot, incredibly moody, disappears randomly during the day, crazy manic ideas and productivity levels off and on.) I doubt anyone else here can tell yet. It sucks that I have excellent addict-dar now.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Pipp....I feel like I can spot them at 100 feet away these days. I am sure you are right.

It always amazes me to see it when I least expect it from someone.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The world has a lot of people with ego issues, whether drinkers or not. I just recognize what I see and give it no more attention than due...and make sure I do not invest in such a person.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Becoming familiar with other high functioning alcoholics has helped me understand the one that has figured more prominently in my life. Mr. Director's false personnae, and the way he comes into a room like he's just become Hyde after drinking his potion - I see XAH all over again. Experiencing Mr Director's behaviors has given me some needed clarity. I KNOW it isn't my fault or anyone else's that Mr Director behaves the way he does. So it isn't my fault that xah is Hyde and Jekyll.

I don't know if that makes any sense. But I am realizing how negatively I still see myself. I really accepted xah's blame for our troubles. I still feel like a difficult woman that no one can understand, because I heard it so many times. Even though I know that by difficult, he meant someone that didn't always go along with the drinking and deceit.

I know Mr Director knows that I am onto him. That alone makes me a threat. Difficult.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Totally agree. I view my interactions with my co worker the same way.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Yeah, there are a lot of *them* out there.

When you hit the real work world . . . you will see more.

At least you now know to steer clear.

Triple C.

Yunno, thinking about it, as you work your way up -- that is one feature about the places and people you may find enjoyable and desirable to work . . . those places do not tolerate As.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes I know there is *something* there but I don't know what it is. Could be drugs, could be booze, could be mental illness.

I see alcoholism -- or sometimes problem drinking -- in a lot of folks that I used to see as mere "partiers." People who are always hung over or drug/alcohol-seeking. Everything they do revolves around getting loaded. I find that while I am capable of just hanging out on occasion, I'm usually scarce in those crowds. A couple of my extracurricular groups include sub-groups like this.

I also see things on strangers I didn't used to see anymore: shaking hands, broken blood vessels, the waxy skin and glassy eyes. And always the sweet body alcohol smells, which are a major trigger for me.