O.T. Great/easy/cheap/gift

Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

O.T. Great/easy/cheap/gift

Hello there.

I thought I would share what I made for my mom for Mothers Day. I wanted to do something she would love, but on the cheap!

I printed out 4 8x10 photos. I got 4 art canvases (I got these at Hobby Lobby, they were in a 2 pack for $3.99 each, I used the 40% coupon on one of them that they always have). I also purchased black acrylic paint in the little bottles for .69

At home I had a bottle of ModPodge in matte, although I am sure the gloss would be fine also.

I painted the edges of the canvases black, let that dry. Put on a thick even layer of modpodge and stick the photo onto the canvas. I had to trim my photos to fit. Put another even layer of modpodge over the photo. Make sure it's even and that you use all downward strokes. Let dry. I then feathered black around the photos once dry to give a more professional look.

It is like you have mounted the photo onto the canvas, there was no line or anything. They turned out so good! I used pretty ribbon tied in a bow for hangers.

The most expensive part of this was printing the photos b/c I did instant print. Had I planned it out, Walgreens gives away free 8x10 photos a lot, and I could have ordered them a lot cheaper, as they were about $5 each.

Just thought I would share in case anyone needs a good, cheap idea for any gifts coming up. They really are super cheap and super easy to do!
Old 05-13-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Actually I was looking for some ideas for photos when I get my new place. This is a great idea for the room that is going to be my office where I will put family photos. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Post a pic. Sounds beautiful.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Raider i dont know how lol!! But they are great, ill post the site i got the directions from tomorrow!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing. Great idea for a gift or even decoarting at home!! I will try that. I have heard of modge podge but never used it. I should probably practice first
Old 05-14-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If you google search Sew Creative DIY Canvas Photos...that is where I got the directions. Super easy!
Old 05-14-2014, 06:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this idea! DD would really enjoy helping out too so this could be a wonderful project for us to do this summer using some of the great candid shots I've taken & have never printed. Thanks!!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

FS...even my little DD who is 8 did one, she was really excited! I am thinking about doing it for one of my crafts for Vacation Bible School that I teach, we always take photos of them by a big backdrop we decorate and do something fun with the pics. I think they would love this!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just read through the full blog & comments & I'm really excited! I pass by Michael's every day on my way to work so collecting & using their 40% coupons a couple at a time I can save a lot of money & get quality canvas to use.

If DD & I work on this over the summer we can put together some nice gifts well before the holidays. My sister has never taken the time to frame or hang a single pic in her house so I know she would appreciate this for Christmas as well..... I may even take the kids (niece/nephew/DD) to the park or the beach & do a bunch of updated shots without sis & mom knowing.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That sounds like a lot of fun FS! I know my little daughter was so proud of the one she did! It's sort of like glue that dries clear. I am thinking about all sorts of projects I can do with it!

Good luck, hope you have as much fun as I did!
Old 05-14-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds cool--I love giving photos as gifts, and this is more personal than just throwing one into a frame.