can anyone identify these symptoms?

Old 05-10-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

can anyone identify these symptoms?

Twice this week my ABF has been sweating up a storm, shaky and weak. These symptoms have passed after eating some chocolate. He works but doesnt eat all day and drinks all night. He eats one meal a day but not every day. He smokes too and is having a hard time breathing at the moment. He is asmatic as well...any thoughts?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spookyboo22 View Post
Twice this week my ABF has been sweating up a storm, shaky and weak. These symptoms have passed after eating some chocolate. He works but doesnt eat all day and drinks all night. He eats one meal a day but not every day. He smokes too and is having a hard time breathing at the moment. He is asmatic as well...any thoughts?
Alcohol is a respiratory depressant. Smoking obstructs breathing. Combine the two and you can probably get shortness of breath. He also might be developing COPD (depending on how long he's been smoking).

He also sounds like he may be periodically withdrawing from alcohol (e.g., shakes and sweating). Or, the shaking and sweating may also be hypoglycemia that he's reversing with the eating chocolate. Either way, it's a bad sign that he seems to be getting most of his calories from alcohol. He may be developing some pre- or actual diabetes (of which the hypoglycemia would fit). Alcoholism is a big risk factor for developing type II diabetes, particularly when you add in his poor eating habits.

BTW, not giving medical advice here, just making educated guesses based on what you're reporting here. He needs to probably see a doctor, and obviously get off the booze.

-DrS
Old 05-10-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Diabetes...all the carbs in the alcohol turn to sugar then no food all day and eating sugar helps...diabetes or at least blood sugar fluctuations
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wonder how bad his health will have to get before he takes some positive action instead of just talking about it? Its not nice to watch. He has been smoking for forty years . His brother has copd and stil has theodd crafty ciggy. I understand how hard it is to stop smoking. So the thought of no smoking or drinking must just be overwhelming so he drinks and smokes to cope with the worry and anxiety i think