My 2-Do List:

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 2-Do List:

Years ago I attended some business coaching seminars. A lot of it was stuff I was already implementing in my office but one of the new tools that really stuck with me afterward was the idea of focusing on the important stuff & changing my "To Do List" into a "2-Do List".

The gist of it is this - when we create a long list of daily to-do's and then do not achieve those goals, we are often left with negative feelings at the end of the day when we look back over the list & focus on all that was left undone.

Instead, my list always has 2 items on it in the mornings. These are the 2 things that absolutely HAVE to get done that day regardless of whatever else happens. They are the things in my primary focus - top priority. When I cross both items off after completion, I get the positive feelings of accomplishment & feel like I've stayed focused on my goals. As the day proceeds, I add items to the list AFTER they are completed & at the end of the day I am always surprised to find out how much I really AM getting done. My feeling of accomplishment doubles.

I have taken this business method & applied it to my personal recovery as well - especially when I feel like I am spiraling a bit. For instance, when RAH had his relapse last fall, I started doing this actively every day to help me maintain a sense of control within my days & my world. And it helped me to stop heaping additional negative energy on myself at a time when my life felt like a roller coaster day-to-day already.

After a few days of actively making lists it helps re-set my brain & my focus & I don't necessarily have to keep doing it. Just thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

reminds me of a story I heard in AA meeting.

via direction from his sponsor, a newbie to AA was to write a list of things he wanted to start that day to change.

his list included.....

quit drinking
stop smoking
loose weight
get finances in order
begin exercising
make-up with family
get a job
take care of legal manners
make a will

and so on...

after reviewing the list, the sponsor says....no wonder you're drunk.

(improvised version)

point is for me....short lists.

sometimes during full blown chaos, it meant simply taking a bath, washing my hair, brushing my teeth, shaving my legs all at the same time. seriously.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you very much for this! It's already greatly helped me today.

I tend to overestimate what I "should" do and under appreciate what I've done. Changes. Good changes.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It does work! I do something similar myself. thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FireSprite, I like that idea! I'm always making long, looooong lists of stuff I need to do. Then at the end of a busy day, I look back and feel like "man, I have been working nonstop for hours and look at everything I still need to get done..." It's enough to bum me out for days.

THIS sounds totally doable! I think I need to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

the single best FIRST entry on a To Do List:

1. Make To Do List

Old 04-17-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I love this idea! I'll be starting it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today's 2-Do list:

1 - pray; let go and let God
2 - eat healthy food and take my supplements

I've been over thinking things today. I can handle this much.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I started last week. Psychological win! It made me able to focus on those two most important items without feeling as overwhelmed by my long list. Then, everything else was a bonus. Thank you again!