Bottom

Old 04-12-2014, 10:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bottom

I have been trying to help out an alcoholic friend for couple of weeks and hopefully today she has hit bottom. After drinking most of the night she managed to get her hands on some pills. I found her not breathing and turning blue. I managed to revive her when the paramedics took over. She does not really have anyone in her world to help her. I did get her half brother involved. After 9 hours in OR. She was mad at me because i would not let her come home with me. Told her i was still her friend, but could no longer help her under my roof. I will never be able to get the image of her turning blue out of my head. Hopefully she can find a shelter or somewhere to stay. I feel crappy putting her out on the street but do not know how to help anymore. Wierd that i still do really care about her
Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You cared about her enough to let her make her own choice about sobriety and life. That takes a special kind of courage. You're a good friend.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Faithhope21, it's such a hard position to be in. You've been a good friend. You don't need to keep her under your roof.

I have a friend who stays with his AGF despite one horror story after another. When she's drunk she screams in the streets "Bandito!" and other sh*t in order to scare him about getting arrested. It works as far as scaring him, not that he does anything to her.

For a while I took his frantic calls/texts about this crap. And he would LOVE to stay under my roof. But then I saw he did nothing to escape the drama and started turning off my phone at night. And there is no way he will stay at my house, particularly after some advice I received here.

It's so hard to care about someone and see them make the choice, again and again, to do destructive things to themselves. You've done as much as anyone can. You can't save her. I'm sure you know this. She was under your roof when she took the pills on top of all the booze, right?

Hugs to you for being a good friend and caring.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

faith...how difficult this must have been for you. I hope your friend finds recovery. and a huge "atta-friend" to you!

you are way ahead of the game since you instinctively knew you had brought this friend as far as you could. many of us became so entangled in trying to "save the alcoholic" that we became profoundly sick ourselves before we were able to detach. you have detached with love.

great for you!
Old 04-13-2014, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would be lying if i said this was not hard to handle. She has promised to get help but hard to tell if she really will. I certainly did not intend to develop feeling for her and discover that i have co dependent problem that i need to address. Wish she would take a look at this amazing board. Thank you for all of the support
Old 04-13-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Faith, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It must have been absolutely frightening!

Only time will tell whether she actually does get help. When an alcoholic's actions match their words, then real recovery has begun.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Faith, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. It must have been absolutely frightening!

Only time will tell whether she actually does get help. When an alcoholic's actions match their words, then real recovery has begun.
I will have to observe from a distance as she believes we should not see each other anymore because i did not want her to stay at my house. Surprised she did not understand how frightened i am and was.