Courage To Change 04/07/14

Old 04-07-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Courage To Change 04/07/14

Could it be that God has a sense of humor? I attended a new meeting recently at which I had been invited to speak. I had conjured up in my imagination a large group of serious-minded Al-Anon members sitting in
the perfect location with the perfect format while Iuttered a daunting barrage of wise words.
What I found instead was a small group perching in a temporary meeting place with a substitute secretary who had misplaced the perfectly-scripted format. Everything that could go wrong did go wrong.
In short, I soon felt right at home. My Higher Power had substituted enough familiar, spontaneous elements so that I could feel completely comfortable. My concept of this “important” meeting and the “important” words I’d be speaking and hearing had quickly disappeared. We were just a group of members in the fellowship doing our best to muddle through and lend each other a helping hand.

Today’s Reminder

I give thanks for the ways my Higher Power finds to cut my pretensions down to size. When I can laugh a little, I feel less afraid.

“I want to remember, every time I’m tempted to take a heavy, somber view of a happening, that it may not be so bad after all . . . I’ll cultivate a knack for recognizing and enjoying humorous moments.”

One Day at a Time in Al-Anon